Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Power Supplies and Electronic Devices
Power Supplies and Electronic Devices
Forum Jump

Is my psu getting hammered?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 11-10-07, 02:21 PM Thread Starter   #1
freeagent

Is my psu getting hammered?

I feel like the new guy with a thread name like this.. but im not really an expert when it comes to these sort of things.. unfortunately, math was my worst subject, and i use a calculater to overclock

Right now im not haveing any problems per say, just with asus probe, and even worse, everest. Here is a screen, so you can get an idea of what im saying tho everest reads my 12v at 11.3.. i did not include it in the screen, because i forgot to open it heheh

My only real issue is what the 12v is showing, This is my psu, its supposed to have 54a on the 12v. With the system in my sig, with an additional 2gb of ram, and the overclock in the screen, is it possible to be comeing close to the limit of the psu? Im getting a very good deal on This psu in a combination deal. I was getting some occasional freeseing and such dureing extended 3d sessions as well, so i figure the 850 should buy me a little more time, if my current psu is the issue..

Asus GTX 580 DCII @ 900/1000 1.1v
Intel 520 120GB/WD 1TB Black
Auzentech Prelude
Thermaltake SP850M
Fractal Design Define R4
freeagent is offline Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-10-07, 02:29 PM   #2
RollingThunder
Destroyer of Spammers, Trolls and Cretins
Premium Member #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeagent View Post
I feel like the new guy with a thread name like this.. but im not really an expert when it comes to these sort of things.. unfortunately, math was my worst subject, and i use a calculater to overclock

Right now im not haveing any problems per say, just with asus probe, and even worse, everest. Here is a screen, so you can get an idea of what im saying tho everest reads my 12v at 11.3.. i did not include it in the screen, because i forgot to open it heheh

My only real issue is what the 12v is showing, This is my psu, its supposed to have 54a on the 12v. With the system in my sig, with an additional 2gb of ram, and the overclock in the screen, is it possible to be comeing close to the limit of the psu? Im getting a very good deal on This psu in a combination deal. I was getting some occasional freeseing and such dureing extended 3d sessions as well, so i figure the 850 should buy me a little more time, if my current psu is the issue..

Freeagent,

Use a digital multi meter on one of your molex plugs to check your voltage, don't trust the software readings.

ATI 5750.............................ATI 6200FX
Dell Ultra Sharp U2413.............. Dell Ultra Sharp 2007 1600x1200
2 x 2 GB GSkill PC8500 @ DDR2 960....2 x 1 GB GSkill PC8500
Corsair HX520........................Corsair HX520
Coolermaster NV 690..................Lian-Li PC-K7
Vista 64.............................XP Pro
Experience teaches only the teachable.
RollingThunder is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-10-07, 06:39 PM   #3
meionm

You need multimeter, software is just a guess.

Q9550, Gigabyte ex38 ds4, 4GB Corsair Dominator PC8500, evga 8800gt, Corsiar 520w psu, WD 640GB HD, LG Eide Dvd Burner, Antec P182

HEATWARE
meionm is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-15-07, 01:53 PM   #4
trowakage

Basically, get a multimeter, set it to measure voltage, find a free molex connector while your computer is running, and follow this guide to measure the voltages that you want:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molex_connector

so like one multimeter lead to the black wire, and one to the yellow wire to measure +12V for example (if you get something around -12V instead, you probably have the leads backwards)

You will probably want to measure once when the computer is relatively idle, and one when it's being stressed (like a game demo or something, where the CPU and vid card are both working hard). If you see the voltages drop over 5%, then your PSU probably is being pushed quite a bit.

2x1gb OCZ Platinum DDR2-1066
ECS nvidia Geforce 9600GT 512mb PCI-E Passive
Western Digital 250gb 7200rpm SATAII HDD w/ 16mb cache
Enermax Liberty DXX 500W PSU
trowakage is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Power Supplies and Electronic Devices
Power Supplies and Electronic Devices