• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

crossfire vs. regular

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

avalanche83

I was wondering if getting another x1800xt and running them in crossfire or whatever would make a huge difference over one. Is it like 1 1/2 times as fast or maybe 2 times?

its really not worth it you are only talkin about 20% to mabe 60% improvement at most and you would need to get a crossfire master card aswell.

you would be much cheaper getting a new graphics card like the 8800gt that will out perform the crossfire setup with a single card

If you have the power you can get up to 1.9x the performance from crossfire, but you're a little too dated to bother. (the big problem is the fact that X1800CF is pretty much extinct)

Either get an 8800GT or wait for the 3970.

Get it when you need it.

im in the same boat as u man, i dont see a point in gettin another 1800xt there too out of date now, im waiting for the new ati cards or i might get a 8800gtx ulimate or maybe 2.

I just bought an x1800xt on Ebay for $75 shipped. Considering how video cards have been frozen in time for over a year(price wise), the x1800xt still performs pretty damn good.
But like they said, I'd wait for the new cards. I got that card on ebay for my GF, since here 6800gt is dying. I'll probably be picking up one of those dual GPU ati's for quadfire. :beer:

Yes, by a substantial amount.

That's funny because at the time i got my 1800xt it was $450. I looked for a croosfire card and it dropped to about $350 over the past year. The 8800gt is $250. I'm wanting something to run UT3 on all high whether going crossfire or 8800gt which still boggles me. Oh and fast frames.

What's the best single card that can do that <$350

i think the best thing ati can do with crossfire is more AA and AF with not much of a performance hit.
so if you find crossfire aint making it faster ie more frames per second then turn the settings up further and see if it takes much of a performance hit.

I suggest getting a 3870. For starters:
-this is the ATI forum
-they should be easier to find then competing video card
-they should cost much less then competing video card
-performance will give you above average results with AA/AF

Yes the competing card is faster however, don't let the higher frame rate fool you. In most cases the game isn't any faster in response time or character movement (cars moves, people moving, etc) then the frame rate from the 3870.

^^ What he said 3870 has fantastic bang per $ and will cost less than the nvidia plus you already have a CF board so maybe 2 3850's are another option.

Back