• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PIII 800mhz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

leaper

Registered
i am woundering what u ppl think about overclocking this p3 800 to cause i'm just gonna use standard cooling and heatsink but gonna buy a new thermal compound

well how much do use reakon i can o/c it to using standard cooling

i am using a asus TUSL2-C mobo

Well, it all depends on the load CPU temp and whether all your components play well together, but I'd say you probably have a good shot at about 900 MHz (112 FSB). To do any real overclocking above that, you'll need to get better cooling. You will not be able to raise the voltage up much without better cooler either.

You have a good overclocking board. Although you will have to remember overclockers #1 concern, which is heat.

To be capable of reaching your max potential for that chip you'll need a better heatsink which I direct you to the main http://www.overclockers.com/ and on the main page if you scroll it says like "Best Heatsinks" or something similar you should pick from like the top 10..

leaper said:
i am woundering what u ppl think about overclocking this p3 800 to cause i'm just gonna use standard cooling and heatsink but gonna buy a new thermal compound

well how much do use reakon i can o/c it to using standard cooling

i am using a asus TUSL2-C mobo

Find out what stepping version your chip is. Depends on what stepping you got makes a quite of difference.

I've got an 800eb stepping 6 chip w/ a stock HSF, don't know what kind. I've been able to bump the FSB up to 155 and my temps have never gone over 37~38, w/ temps before o/c around 32~33. I can't go any higher as I don't have a volt mod in the BIOS, crappy DFI mobo. If your going to rise the voltage, I'd look into a good quality HSF.

Dr.

leaper said:
my cpu is model 8 stepping 3

does that make much diff

Sorry I get slob with Model # stepping # you posted. Find out whether you have an E or EB chip(100fsb or 133fsb) and whether you have a "cB0" or "cC0" stepping. These are what i would like to know.

- The cB0 800E chip overclock so so. With standard cooling as you mentioned, and with no luck, you cannot even reach 133fsb out of it. that means you cannot do 1064mhz. If you're lucky, you might be able to do 133fsb. what's worse, you might not be even able to reach near 133fsb. you might get stuck at mid 110ish range and that's it.

- The cC0 800E chip is likely will have better overclockability but again with the standard cooling and with a little bit of luck, 133fsb should be easy. 1064mhz or more is do-a-ble.

Basically what I am saying is that older 800E chips OC like $hit. :D
Newer of those chips have better tendency to oc higher.

800EB chips are whole different story in OC'ing. Even more so depends on the stepping type of these EB chips. The old 800EB overclock "okay". I had my cB0 800EB rock n roll@ 150- 155fsb, no more. If u get unlucky, expect mid 140's fsb.

With an 800EB cC0 you will have better luck oc'ing. Many of them are able to do well over 150fsb. As high as in the high 160ish fsb or even at higher with better cooling. With standard cooling on this chip, maybe 150- 155fsb. These EB chips don't need special cooling to get high FSB. They are FSB OC-Friendly. They'll still go high with standard cooling.

Conclusion: The stepping type makes quite a bit of difference.
Hope this helps.

EDIT: oh I forgot to mention the cD0 stepping on these processors. They are a Plus in Oc'ing if you could find them. So find out what you got. good luck.
:D

Last edited:
On my BE6, i got my PIII 800@920 (FSB=115) at 1.75V stable. It was a retail slot 1 cB0 stepping with original hsf. It could boot into Windows @960 (FSB=120) at 1.8V but wasn't stable in games. Wouldn't post at 124FSB though.

yipp... I was right.. according to what I posted in my last reply, Racoon's 800E cB0 reached around mid 110's fsb on a retail slt1 I assume factory cooling right? Yeah Racoon (btw, I like your name :D) those 8X multi banger are lilly bit harder to overclock due to heat build up higher. If you have a factory cooling, try replacing it with an aftermarket, some good HSF ones that fit well on the Slot1's. Cardcooler.com has pretty good selection. Just to name one. That is if you want to OC higher.. you bring down the CPU temp and with little bit of Vcore cranking up, you might be able to go higher.

EDIT: Hey are you the Racoon from [H.]ardocp forum?? I think I saw you there with your thread. Let me know bud. :D

Back