• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gears of War PC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BTK

banner_gearsofwar.jpg

Gears of War PC

Developer: Epic Games
Publisher: Microsoft Studios
Release Date: Nov. 6th 2007

Gears of War for Windows features the amazing tactical action and multiplayer excitement found in the Xbox 360 version, but also adds a variety of all-new content, including three new multiplayer maps, a new multiplayer mode, game editor, five new game chapters and DirectX10 support.

Gears of War thrusts gamers into a deep and harrowing story of humankind’s epic battle for survival against the Locust Horde, a nightmarish race of creatures that surface from the bowels of the planet.

With Gears of War, Epic returns gamers to the massively scoped worlds, memorable characters, co-operative gameplay, and hyper-realistic combat that gamers have come to expect from the franchise, plus a few new surprises.

--------------

It was either this or CoD4 for me. I don't like short campaigns that much so I picked GoW PC from my local GameStop for $49.99 even though I have it for 360.

Let me tell you I am VERY happy with this port. It does not feel like a port at all, it feels like a PC made game all along.

The experience is better on the PC version @ 1280x1024 than the 360 version was on my 37" 1080i HDTV. The textures look much better on the PC version and has a crisper/cleaner look. The lighting is done better. It totally puts the 360 graphics to shame. Some of the best looking graphics of any game to date. Sound is great.

I am playing it @ 1280x1024 - Completely Maxed - 8XAF - DX9 in XP - No AA (DX9 does not support AA)

The motion blur is so well done It does not even need AA @ 1280x1024.

DX10 offers not improvement over DX9 except frame rate loss.
Gears of War PC Performance and IQ

Core 2 Duo E6750 @ 3.44 GHz
4x1GB Crucial Ballastix PC2-6400 (DDR2-800) @ 4-5-5-8 430 MHz 2.0V
eVGA 8800GTS 320MB SC @ 610/975 (1950)/1,580 Shader
WD 250GB 7200RPM SATA

Very well optimized engine. Frame cap @ 62 FPS and I never saw it go below 61 FPS via FRAPS the whole game except at brief loading point pauses.

Game is 7GB on the DVD and 10GB once fully installed. Took me around 20 minutes to install.

I really love the extra chapters and it's so addictive gameplay I could play the game over and over. The insane difficulty level is insanely hard. Support for a 360 controller can make things even harder too. I haven't touched multilayer yet which has new modes.

I may have to get an 8800GT, Sound Card and 1920x1200 monitor just for this game.

Anyone else tried this awesome game?

Last edited:
Ive tried it, its bugged to hell. Mouse look doesnt work at all for me (push the mouse forward and backward, it looks up and down. Push it left and right, your character walks forwards and backwards). Took almost half an hour to install. Windows Live login didnt work at all until Id downloaded 80 odd updates from Windowsupdate, and found a patch for Live. Settings wouldnt save until after Id updated Live. Its a bodge, and if I cant find a fix for this mouse look thing, its going back tomorrow.

I'm sorry your mouse didn't work. All I had to do was turn of mouse inversion and it acted like a normal third person shooter for me. This game is excellent on the 360 and even better on the pc.

4 hours wow you must be playing on casual or you are really good. It took me more like 8 hours on coop or maybe 6. But the pc version does have 5 new chapters which will add a few minutes at least.

Playing the campaign on single-player is pretty dang hard. I did a clean install of Windows, got all the updates, and installed all the latest drivers before playing, and so far I haven't had a problem.

4 hours wow you must be playing on casual or you are really good. It took me more like 8 hours on coop or maybe 6. But the pc version does have 5 new chapters which will add a few minutes at least.

I played through it awhile ago. Not on casual, but the second difficulty in about 4 hours. But, you're right about insane difficulty. It it REALLY hard.

I have been playing on casual difficult since its the first time i play this game... and i really liked a lot the graphics. It runs smooth in my rig and i hadnt had an issue with it.

In gameplay of the campaing im dealing with the berseker after the guy kill kim. Very good game so far. And it feels like a PC game not like a port.

I recommend it to everyone...

Try installing the 169.09 drivers or reduce your overclock. I've installed it on two computers and it's only crashed once for me.

I'm gonna pick this up for myself, my father and my brother as soon as it goes on sale. Checking gogamer everyday for it.

Its not often Coop games come out for PC people. The last good one was R6 Vegas, and the coop was its only thing I really enjoyed. (the rest of the game is abandoned crap)

I geuss I lucked out! It runs flawlessly on my PC. However the code they gave me for a free live Gold trial would not work, so I settled for Live Silver and then they said I can't use Live unless I download an update and then it told me update could not be downloaded -_-
Microsoft for ya, always a half assed job.
When my live account does update however, I can finally play multiplayer but my single player saves get deleted, smart system isnt it?

Back