• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PCIe 2.0 and 8800 GT

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WildMonkey

Will a PCIe 2.0 capable mobo have a significant boost in performance of a 8800 GT seen that GTs are PCIe 2.0 cards?

I don't think so, the only differences that I'm aware of are:

1. Power through the motherboard (no external connector needed)
2. Up to PCI-e 32x

So just from that list, no, there would be no performance increase.

Taken from http://www.dailytech.com/PCIe+20+Ratified/article5718.htm

"PCI-SIG outlines the new features as:

* Enhanced Completion Timeout Control, which includes required and optional aspects, reduces false timeouts and increases the ability to ‘tune’ the timeouts.
* Function Level Reset and Access Control Services, giving enhanced robustness and support of certain IOV features -- though this feature is labeled as optional/
* Slot Power Limit Changes to allow for higher powered slots, which support the newer, high-performance graphics cards. This new feature works in tandem with the 300W Card Electro-mechanical specification.
* Speed Signaling Controls to enable software to determine whether a device can operate at a specific signaling rate, which can be used to reduce power consumption, as well as provide gross level I/O to memory.

The new interface will prove to be particularly useful for video cards whose performance is limited as a result of lower I/O throughput. Manufacturers will be able to use the faster channels for shared memory graphics which uses system memory to boost performance."

Back