• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lost surround sound

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pinky

I haven't listened to any surround sound sources since upgrading to Vista Ultimate recently, but after the upgrade I would ocassioanlly get the message to disable the enhanced driver features. I figured while I had a spare moment I would reinstall the audigy 2 sound drivers. That problem seems to be fixed, but at the cost of having no surround sound.

The built-in windows config allows for 5.1 testing, but it only plays in 2.0 (when clicking on the rear channels, for example, the sound plays from the 2 fronts). I've swapped my analog outputs on the sound card and still does the same thing. Doesn't appear as if the sound card or drivers are detecting the connected jacks...

I've removed the klite (w/ ffshow) pack, rebooted and reinstalled a few different ways to no avail. Only mention to an issue on creative's site is that the driver they offer doesn't support dolby digital or DTS, which I find hard to believe is now impacting windows test playback if I had it working before.

I threw in a surround music disc (MVI) and of course it's playing in 2 channel, even with 5.1 selected in the DVD menu, windows, and in PowerDVD.

After almost 4 hours of trying this and that, I found my solution :D . Life would have probably been easier if the guru3d driver removal tool was available (links were not working for the download).

http://nomoregoatsoup.wordpress.com...reative-vista-drivers-solve-install-problems/

The Hard Way: Manual Removal Of Files

This Manual uninstall method is quite complex and isn’t suited for most users. Always backup your valuables, registry etc. If it goes wrong, don’t blame me. It’s worth noting too that UAC should be disabled, in case anyone out there is silly enough to be using it.

1) Firstly begin by totally uninstalling anything with the Creative tag on it.
Control Panel > Control Panel Home > Programs > Uninstall a program

2) Next we need to remove any tricky start up entries, again anything Creative must go.
Control Panel > Control Panel Home > Programs > Change startup programs

3) Now we need to remove Creative registry entries, and there’s quite a few.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Creative Tech
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Creative Tech
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Creative Tech
HKEY_LOCAL_Machine\Software\ASIO
4) Remove these files/folders:

C:\Windows\System32\BMX*.rfx
C:\Windows\System32\Data
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Data *(64-bit only)
C:\Windows\{*.BAK
C:\Windows\{*.CDF *Under Vista, requires additional actions to be successfully deleted, see below.
C:\Windows\CTDCRES.DLL
C:\Windows\System32\cttele32.dll
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\CTOSS2K.SYS
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\CTSFM2K.SYS
C:\Program Files\Creative (delete whole folder)
C:\Windows\CTXFIRES.DLL
C:\Windows\CTPRES.DLL
C:\Windows\Updreg.EXE
To remove .CDF files, type the following two commands in the Command Prompt (requires Admin Privileges or UAC disabled):

takeown /f C:\Windows\*.CDF

and

cacls C:\Windows\*.CDF /G User:F

User is your username, which must have admin rights. Answer Y (yes) to confirm the changes.
Now close the prompt, open Windows Explorer and delete the files with filenames like these:

{00000005-00000000-00000002-00001102-00000004-20021102}.BAK
{00000005-00000000-00000002-00001102-00000004-20021102}.CDF

After all of this, restart and begin to install your software. I noticed that after using this method, my Creative driver packages would install much quicker. It even solved a few little bugs I was having. Bonus.

Back