• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Are my HDD's so hot?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I don't really know what the acceptable range is, but to compare:

I've got 2 Seagate 7200.10 320gb in raid 0 that run at 35C, and 2 500gb Seagate 7200.10 drives, but they don't report their temps for some reason.

That's too warm for my tastes (all of my drives run behind 120mm fans and report anywhere from 28C-33C in Everest UEE while running HDTach long benches), but Google did a study where drive temps didn't have much bearing in drive longevity overall. I'd say anything above 45C is warmer than I'd care for though, personally.

It doesn't matter. Your drives are well within normal operating temperatures. The drive is too hot only if it will actually burn you.

U should get yourself a SpeedFan, in the S.M.A.R.T. tab choose your HDD and click on "perform an in-depth online analysis of this hard disk". Internet browser page will open showing u data of your hdd with the lowest and highest temperatures that were recorded by other users too :)
Hope this helps u get a better picture of your hdds :D

Your hard disk is a Maxtor 6Y060L0 with firmware YAR41BW0.
The average temperature for this hard disk is 38C (MIN=22C MAX=59C) and yours is 44C.

Your hard disk is a WDC WD4000KD-00NAB0 with firmware 01.06A01.
The average temperature for this hard disk is 36C (MIN=25C MAX=50C) and yours is 46C.

Well looks like the Western Digital HDD is pretty hot down there...

I really gotta get a fan controller so I can run the fans quieter....

My HDDs will usually run around 33-35C, but when transferring a lot of data between them, I have seen them hit 50C. This is even with a 120mm Fan blowing across all 8 of them. You should be fine, but it is always a good idea to keep them cool.

Back