• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XEON 54xx Penryn Quads

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
too bad these need a 771 server mother board with v-dimm slow *** expensive power eating ram. Not worth it over the q6600.

too bad these need a 771 server mother board with v-dimm slow *** expensive power eating ram. Not worth it over the q6600.
It's for a server and with 12MB or 3M per core average, then that slow a** ram makes little difference. Now if you have a link to that V8 skt775 then post it.

Dude, he isn't telling you it's a better deal than going out and buying an LGA775 board and chip. He is simply getting the word out to those who may already be on 771 already or are thinking about going that route for server reasons.

Prolly he is going straight to SkullTrail ! An extreme dark side. :D

AC seems like he's ALLLLLMOST tempted.. :D

inkfx, we have similar looking kitties. :)

It's just plain EVIL but we love the powah :D
Skull trail?, Any of you "Intel fanboys" know why intel called it skull trail?"*.
Or server. I think the server might be cheaper except for the overclock.
:bang head
Daamit that hurt!

*Think those might be the skulls of us AMD fanboys!

well if intel released 1600fsb lga771's you could pad mad the 1333's cpus....

well if intel released 1600fsb lga771's you could pad mad the 1333's cpus....

5462,5472 Are 1600s. 4 channel ram boards are also available negating any dragdown effect of DDR2-667. I just can't fine a board I like with 8 slots unless I want 16 ram slots. Any suggestions on a board (needs to be EATX (12x13 max).

What you mean a similar Opteron cost almost $1000? That sounds like an 8xxx Opteron and should then be compared to Tigerton, which cost up to $2300 (the 2.93GHz top model).

This looks like a serious consideration, so i say welcome to the dark side, you finally feel the force calling you and cant resist the power of the metalgates. Can i ask, would you have left AMD this easily if they had been more truthful about K10 performance from the start instead of hyping it up through the roof? Thats what bothers me the most about K10, seems like AMDs marketing cant be trusted further than Sheridan could throw Babylon5 (now thats references to two scifi classics in the same paragraph :) )

i would be looking at supermicro for server boards...asus has some goods ones as well...

I summed if up here with my own observation.
http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?p=5337083&postcount=560

In this case we are not looking at the MP class only the DP class chips. A 2.5G Opti will be close to $1000 if the 2.3 is 800+. If is a serious consideration just to get 8 cores rolling but still an option to stay with AMD. I'm not dumping my AMD fleet as I still (personally think intels business practices suck) but with the buck hits the road it better get good mileage.

AMDs marketing was not forthright and open like it should have been. It all started with the planning which was based on the Conroe Desk and Server chips later revised for the Kents. Intel did the same back at the end of Preschot. AMD new Barcelona would leap ahead of the Dual core chips and released the 40% better performace. Later when the c4Qs came out the field changed and AMD suffered the setback. From there it has been mostly media sources making up there own takes due to lack of solid info. The data is still not straight on anything being released. Barcelona when clocked alone with a similar MHZ is real close in performance on some realworld tests. When it comes to a lot of software that hogs memory, the 8-12mb caches rule. This could all change in six months. AMD has until about Spring to pick up the hammer and start swinging. We need parts in the hands of people like WindWithMe and several others here to test as soon as a new die is available to put to the test with no restrictions. It's not going to happen anymore than the US will see honest voting machines.

Back