• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Put Simply, XP vs. Athlon

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bravo

Registered
I've got a couple of quick questions.

1. In a default speed situation (1400mhz vs. 1400mhz) which would be faster? the XP or the Athlon? I assume the XP, but i do not know the reasons why

2. I was told that a Voltage Mod on an XP is pointless. However, after considering the question, using a higher voltage would be pointless (owing to internal resistances increased by thermal and electrical increases), But cooling below 0 (and properly insulating) would decrease the thermal resistance, and lower the electrical resistance in the path ways. Is this correct?

[EDIT: Also, i was told that the "hot spot" for an XP was around 1.85v. Using any more with aircooling will simply introduce more power into the core and simply generate heat (and not allow the core to overclock anymore). Is this correct?]

1. The xp has some enhancments which include full sse instructions, it of course will be faster, go and read the propaganda on amd.com (most logical place for you to find the information). Mhz for Mhz the xp will win.

2. Voltage mod on xp would not be pointless, It is common knowledge that things are more stable if you give them a little more juice. Of course more voltage means more heat.

The intrinsic properties you speak of occur with all semiconducting devices, so it does not occur to athlon XP's alone.

I havn't overclocked my XP past where aircooling hasnt been sufficient so I can't answer the last part.

Hope this answers your questions.

steve_scott89 said:
1. The xp has some enhancments which include full sse instructions, it of course will be faster, go and read the propaganda on amd.com (most logical place for you to find the information). Mhz for Mhz the xp will win.

2. Voltage mod on xp would not be pointless, It is common knowledge that things are more stable if you give them a little more juice. Of course more voltage means more heat.

The intrinsic properties you speak of occur with all semiconducting devices, so it does not occur to athlon XP's alone.

I havn't overclocked my XP past where aircooling hasnt been sufficient so I can't answer the last part.

Hope this answers your questions.

Yes it does :)

It answers the important questions (and from such a relatively new member to the forum)

Cheers

Good to hear, except that when does the time in which you register for a forum specify the knowledge you hold :(

steve_scott89 said:
Good to hear, except that when does the time in which you register for a forum specify the knowledge you hold :(

Perhaps the wording was wrong, i was simply observing those new to the forums are as helpful as the "older" members :)

Welcome to the forums, one and all!

By the way: more often than not, people come to this forum looking for answers to questions, so they TEND to have less overall knowledge than people who have been here a while.;)

BUT: that is not always the case, and I don't think I've seen anyone new here that didn't know more about SOMETHING than I do!!

One of the reasons that I only spend time on this forum is that people are respected/known/judged for their knowledge and being helpful around here more than for their "member status" ie- new member, etc!

Happy Holidays!

Back