• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Incredibly noobish question, but I can't help it...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jon

Just Another Retired Moderator
I haven't done any gaming in years and as a result, I have next to no clue when it comes to applying general performance rating to video cards.

I have two cards at my disposal...a PCI-E nVidia 6200LE 128MB and an ATi X800 Pro 256MB. Common sense (or blind assumption :) :shrug: ) would tell me that the ATi is the better card. What I'm wondering, however, is by how much? I don't really need numbers thrown at me since they won't really matter, so you can actually just tell me "It's marginally better", "It's alot better", or "It kicks its ***" and so on. I'll understand that :D

Basically, I have the x800 in my primary system now, but all I do on it is back up my DVDs and occasionally grace teh web, so it's an encoding/general use workstation. It doesn't really need that much on the video side of things. The 6200LE is in my bedroom HTPC and it's been suffering a bit on HDTV playback, so I was hoping to postpone getting another HD2X00 series card for a bit by making a swap...if it'll make a big enough difference.

Native scaling, so I display at 1360x768.

the 6200 is a pretty lowly card to begin with, the lowest grade card from 2 generations ago. And the LE is pretty much an even more stripped down edition from that (much lower clockspeed for both ram and GPU). The x800pro is also 2 generations back, but was a mid-high range card, so it should COMPLETELY demolish the 6200LE.

The reason I got the 6200LE to begin with was for Media Center use. It was the lowest level card that also supported hardware acceleration via PureVideo. I'm guessing it's still not powerful enough for full screen 16:9 1080i content as it does everything else fine.

I have to rebuild that box tonight so I'll swap them out. Thanks for the input...I was pretty sure of the answer after additional reading, but you guys are the experts :)

Back