• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gauntlet horsepower on hold. We need SETI linux help, pls.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Go to the upper left menu, Add/Remove Programs.

When that comes up (may ask for password), there is a drop-down in the upper right of the window, select "all projects" (can't remember, its the top one).

Search for "boinc" and install it.

Double click it once it installs.

YOU WIN!!! Press start play again.

Thanks to ihrsetrdr and thideras!

The "add/remove" program *SOB* thingy, was the reason that we had no option to download the BOINC package using Synaptic Package Manager.

Even after the get updates and a complete 125 item Ubuntu 6.10 update, the right package of software available for d/l was not updated.

Easy breezy once you know the tricks of the trade. :)

NedClocker, this is the url for the C2D optimized client for 64 bit Ubuntu:
http://lunatics.at/index.php?module=Downloads;sa=dlview;id=116

One difference from the windows client; once you close the Boinc Manager (or Exit, doesn't matter in my case), the crunching stops immediately and you lose the WU's you are crunching away on.

(I did not install it as root as mentioned previously).

So you need to leave that Boinc Manager (or the terminal window for the Seti client) up, just like the terminal window when it's folding in Linux.

I don't have the time to spare to d/l the 650 Megs or so of data, and get the install done, and still crunch for the Gauntlet.

Is the newer Ubuntu have a 64 bit size version, and is it stable?

I have lost the naive belief that Ubuntu is really easy when it comes to installs and such.

Go to the upper left menu, Add/Remove Programs.

When that comes up (may ask for password), there is a drop-down in the upper right of the window, select "all projects" (can't remember, its the top one).

Search for "boinc" and install it.

Double click it once it installs.

YOU WIN!!! Press start play again.

dbl clk it? where?

oh just found i haven't applied it yet.

n m. got it. how get seti on now?

boinc manager is not able to connect to a boinc client. would you like to try to connect again?

ok. i guess i got back too late to get in on the party.

3 E6600s will continue folding tonight. Sorry.

NedClocker:

I'm stuck exactly where you are on my second install tonight. :bang head:

I'll get the answer, and give you the info, asap.

Oh, now u 2 show up, right as I'm about to go to bed!!! lol

Here's where I am.

I got boinc installed and actually got attached to seti but after that it had some problem with connecting and couldn't get work. If you are going to be around, I'll go back upstairs and try again.

oh, and I still don't know what to do with the stinkin optmization file.

now that boinc is installed (i think), I can get it started by going applicatinos - accessories and there it is.

i click on update the project and now it tells me communication deferred for 24 hours and it's counting them down.

Back