• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

E6400 Came!!! Currently at 2.9GHz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ShadowPho

I am in your stack, SUBbing your registers!
E6400 Came!!! Currently at 3.0001GHz

We received this PC today. Not sure if I get to keep it or not, but I do get to play Bioshock on it for a few days. However, I don't want to be bottlenecked, so I am OCing it.
Total PC cost: $330 with delivery.
E6400, B2.
2GBs of Corsair RAM PC2-5300, Value Stuff. Had to set clock rate to 1T.
7600GS DDR2, 512MB.
Asus P5N-E SLi. Chipset 650i SLI.
320GBs HDD.

The BIOS is Micro Velocity's, and I am trying to get the CPU to be... good!
Right now it is at 2.9GHz, ~69C under heavy load on stock cooling at 1.32V.
83,000 Points in Aquamark.

What should I set the motherboard NB voltage to? How much harder should I push it? How much can I expect?

Last edited:
well the limiting factor is the video card... i would trash the micro-bios for one from asus's site. Dont be shy about NB voltage on the NV's they need it to help clock up... just make sure the cooling is good on the NB when ocing though...

well the limiting factor is the video card... i would trash the micro-bios for one from asus's site. Dont be shy about NB voltage on the NV's they need it to help clock up... just make sure the cooling is good on the NB when ocing though...

NB has a HUGE heatsink on it. Image

Just flashed BIOS as per your recommendation. 3GHz, so far 5 minutes stable. But I have a feeling that RAM will be the bottleneck. But I can set it to "unlink" and change it down to 666MHz. Will that bottleneck?
My SPD defaults to 5-6-6-31 with 2T. Is that.... right? (at 375MHz)

EDIT: At 70C stable for 15 minutes at 3GHz, holy cow this is good!

Last edited:
well according to this your timings should be 5-5-5-15
http://www.corsairmemory.com/products/value_select.aspx#ddr2dimm

now i would ask you to power down the rig and unplug the pc, hit the power switch to drain all the power. pull the ram stick and see if you can read the ic, looking for something that say's D9HNL or something like that... tring to figure out what ic's are on there, you might be able to run the ram unlinked at ddr2-800 with 1.9v or 2.0v. the ram ddr2-667 is a nother limiting factor but at this point no amount of ocing is going to overcome the video card...

Corsair ValueSelect.
VS1GB667D2

On Chip -
64MBCFEG
PS0900649
SEX184-F93G

As for overclocking my video card, I am not so worried about that. I just want the pure power for chessmaster and my number crunching programs. Would have gotten Q6600 if I could. Even mildly OCed this 7600GS does 20000 more points in Aquamark! :D

Oh, and how much voltage for NB is good?

whats your cooling? cause if you have a B2 step you need to get better cooling cause 70c is pushing it. i dont break 64c at 3.2ghz....

for the NB i hear that it takes about 1.6v to get up in the higher clocks.

whats your cooling? cause if you have a B2 step you need to get better cooling cause 70c is pushing it. i dont break 64c at 3.2ghz....

for the NB i hear that it takes about 1.6v to get up in the higher clocks.
Right now... stock. :(
I might put a HUGE block on it a little later.

keep pushing. Im sure that 6400 has more in it. How much leadway is left in your ram?
No idea :(. Probably not much. Should I just set it to "unlinked"?

The 6400 has a multi of 8. So if you are running 1:1, your at 375fsb? I dont know what ratios you have, but running it 1:1 with that pc-5300 WILL hold your overclock down.

Depending on thr board, your NB is probably reaching its limit on stock volts.

Damn, it wasn't stable at 3GHz. :(

But holy cow, this is SO POWERFUL.
At 2.8GHz it runs chessmaster game analysis on one core, Sims 2 installation on another and firefox running with google videos at only 65% CPU usage. My P4 used like 20% only for the flash on google videos!! And chessmaster always ate 100%.

Should I pump more voltage to memory? Right now it is at 1.9V.

----
Blah, system STILL not stable. Weird. It has a REALLY weird side effect. Everything runs normally, and then one program would randomly stop responding. At this point Explorer stops responding too, but all other programs freeze only in a minute or so.
I thought that my Win installation was hosed, so loaded a Damn Small Linux to RAM. Within 5 minutes it kicked me out of GUI screaming "I/O error: possible IO/IRQ error" with the screen shifted.
/me sighs and goes to set the OC back down.

Last edited:
the RAM is holding you back for sure. What chipset/mobo is it on? Also the max voltage within warrantee is 1.35V if I remember correctly. Try going up to that.

Getting near 70C on a B2 is going to cause problems as well imo. You would like to be under 65C at the most with full load from Orthos dual prime95. Try to get a better heatsink if you can.

Damn.
Blue BSOD flashes and system restarts without giving me the time to read what the BSOD said. But I was installing from a really scratched up XP, so maybe that's the problem.
I just tested memtest, and no errors so far. Right now I set my HDD to run under mhdd.

And just know my motherboard beeped after POST but before WinXP (at the screen where it displays all the PCI/IRQ stuff).

:/

Your real bottleneck is that videocard. If you try overclocking the videocard, you'll yield more fps than overclocking the cpu an extra 100-200mhz.
Even for Sims2? :)

PSU is a possible issue......... do you know what brand/model?

Silent Engine. But Voltage is really close to what it should be.
Vcore1: 1.28V
+5 - 4.97
+12-12.03

This is really weird. I took out one stick of 1GB ram, and it runs stable so far. Usually it would not BSOD unless I do a lot of stuff at once and then a blink of blue screen and immediate restart. Orthos/memtest86+/mhdd detect no errors.

EDIT: Just blew. I am now going to the extreme, I took out all RAM and put in a good 256MB module. Blah. Windows already out of RAM.

EDIT2: KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR BSOD. This time it stayed on screen.

EDIT3: I am at a loss. Moved RAM to slot 1&3, and no problems so far. Chessmaster, 2 hours of Sims2, firefox, no BSODs....

Last edited:
Back