• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sleeve bearing, more like sleeve bushing.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nd4spdbh2

I have noticed that all the fans that i have bought that have sleeve "bearings" are in fact not a bearing at all IMO... its just a bronze bushing. so why the hell do they call them a bearing, or am i missing something.

cus all i saw when i took a look at all the sleeve bearing fans i had were simple bronze bushings.

I mean i use the same type of "bearing" on my rc cars here and there, and i have never called them or heard them called a sleeve bearing, always bushings, a bearing implies some type of rolling device seperating the rotating object and stationary object.

A sleeve bearing is just a specific type of bushing. A sleeve bearing is just what is in those fans, a highly toleranced shaft and outer ring, generally made of high hardness metals with oil impregnation, and it is designed to spin with low friction. A bushing is a more general term. Think of the bushings in your cars suspension, they aren't made to turn at all, just absorb shock and transmit load. There are lots of other examples and types of bushings. Essentially a bushing is just something that is made to connect two things in a specific way (like that made any sense :beer:)

haha oks... i guess it makes sence why they have such shorter lifespace. guess i wont be putting one in the psu of my 24/7 server.

how are artic cooling's fans with relation to the same sized sleeve bearing yate loon?

When it comes reliable fan, get well known branded fan in the cooling industry like Sanyo Denki, EBM and etc, the 1st two brands are proven through time for their true work horse fan long before PC cooling industry exist.

Trust me, you will break your jaw if you know how reliable are these compared to sleeve bearing fan. ;)

When it comes reliable fan, get well known branded fan in the cooling industry like Sanyo Denki, EBM and etc, the 1st two brands are proven through time for their true work horse fan long before PC cooling industry exist.

Trust me, you will break your jaw if you know how reliable are these compared to sleeve bearing fan. ;)

haha i kno... but they r a lil spensive for my tastes. The artic cooling fans look good on paper and what not but id like to kno if htye have bearing and or motor noise.

well the enermax warp fans dont have a bearing at all, its turned by electromagnets and has no friction at all, only a bit in the middle where there is a pin to keep it all in place, but it has a long lifetime too and isn't that expensive..I love them, especially because I can take out the fan blades to clean them.

I can't say I've ever had a sleeve barring fan fail on me but thats probably partially because the ones I have keep their RPMs at around 2000RPM. A higher speed sleeve barring fan would probably not be so great in terms of long term reliability.

well the enermax warp fans dont have a bearing at all, its turned by electromagnets and has no friction at all, only a bit in the middle where there is a pin to keep it all in place, but it has a long lifetime too and isn't that expensive..I love them, especially because I can take out the fan blades to clean them.

Isn't that how ALL fans are turned? The control PCB has 4 coils, and the fan impeller has a magnetic ring that rotates around the control PCB. The fan's coils are aligned in 90° increments (one top and bottom, one left right) and the poles alternate quickly to rotate the impeller. Isn't that an electromagnet?

I read up on that type of fan and basically the fan "floats" around the post either due to the magnets or air pressure (between the stationary post and the moving shaft) or both. This could mean that the fan can stall if set to a very low speed on a fan controller.

I read up on that type of fan and basically the fan "floats" around the post either due to the magnets or air pressure (between the stationary post and the moving shaft) or both. This could mean that the fan can stall if set to a very low speed on a fan controller.

This is very true

I have a enermax enlobe fan which is basically the enermax warp fan without the high speed and controller

When I turn this fan below 9v, you get a tiny "scraping" like sound

The easy fix to this is to grease or oil the whole area of the bearing but that ruins the idea of a floating shaft

I don't know about the enlobe fan, but my fan does have high speed and a fan controller(comes on it and isn't removable)

the fan doesn't make any weird sounds when I run it at lowest speeds(1200rpm)

I made pictures of the fan because I suck at explaining stuff :p

i also found this

enermax-enobal-fan-2.jpg

Last edited:
I've had TWO of my Enlobals fail on me with only about eight months of use, never undervolted or anything... I'm hesitant to go back to em.

Back