• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

So... how do I get the 64-bit version of Windows vista?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WiglyWorm

I got a copy of Windows Vista Enterprise from my school. It's a 32 bit version, and supposedly you can upgrade any version of Vista from 32 bit to 64 bit, right? Well, I have a 64 bit processor, but I can't find any info on how to do so.

Any hints to be had here?

As far as I know, only those who purchase the retail Vista Ultimate 64 bit version have a choice since it comes with both. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

As far as I know, only those who purchase the retail Vista Ultimate 64 bit version have a choice since it comes with both. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

ok i will:) i got the home premium upgrade 32bit, and in the control panel is an icon called "windows anytime upgrade" if you click it it takes you to the site with all the info needed.
if you don't have the icon i guess it isn't available for your version.
hope that helps:beer:

Boo. My enterprise edition doesn't have a CD key, nor does it have an "anytime upgrade" option... Well, it might have a CD key, but it's slipstreamed into the install process.

If you get the upgrade version IIRC it doesnt have a 64bit option since you can't "upgrade" or "downgrade" from 64-bit to 32-bit or vice-versa. You have to buy the Full Install version and it comes with two dvd's 32-bit and 64-bit.

If you get the upgrade version IIRC it doesnt have a 64bit option since you can't "upgrade" or "downgrade" from 64-bit to 32-bit or vice-versa. You have to buy the Full Install version and it comes with two dvd's 32-bit and 64-bit.
Only Ultimate has both 32/64 discs for either retail version (full or upgrade). I have the business retail upgrade and it came with a 32bit disc only (as expected). I just had to go to that posted Microsoft link and order the 64bit disc. You have to have your installation key to order it.

Same key installs either 32bit or 64bit. I used the well documented double install method to get a clean install just like the full retail version. Since I have W2k disc, I qualify for the upgrade but I don't want the hassle of installing W2k first to get a clean install.

Total cost including Newegg and MS was $165. Full version would have been quite a bit more as would Ultimate upgrade. The extra fluff in Ultimate wasn't worth the extra $80 to me.

As I upgrade and eventually get a dual socket system again, I can migrate my copy of Vista as long as I don't have more than one installed instance at a time (including VMs).

Is this not done anymore? I put in my key and it said there weren't any offers available.

I guess it will only work if you bought retail version. The key with that came with 32bit will work on 64bit as long you can get hold of installation dvd.

I guess it will only work if you bought retail version. The key with that came with 32bit will work on 64bit as long you can get hold of installation dvd.
That makes sense. My copy came from a coupon from Gateway when I bought my laptop a year ago.

Back