• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Game that brings PC to its knees?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

4GHZ_or_bust

Now 6GHz or Bust!
Is there such beast that has hungry requirement that would bring a PC with dual core CPU and 2 dual GPU card in SLi mode down to its knees and waving white flag? Like running Crysis at high resolution with all eye candies enabled?

Is there such beast that has hungry requirement that would bring a PC with dual core CPU and 2 dual GPU card in SLi mode down to its knees and waving white flag? Like running Crysis at high resolution with all eye candies enabled?

Uhh .. Crysis can. I don't think you can play like that with x2 GTX ultras ...

i agree with metallica. The only game out there right now that virtually cripples every pc is crysis.

I have always wondered about this, what the heck are the game designers for crysis running? I bet its not even released yet lol.

Crysis first ran on Dual X1900's with an AMD X2 at 3GHz, then dual 8800GTS's, then they scored dual 8800Ultras, now they're playing with Intel's new quadcore and 3870X2's.

And guess what? The game looks AWESOME, I'm running it on high and I swear I'm in a movie.

Yet another vote for crysis. I cant wait until cards come out that can really push the graphics to the max, but until then were all stuck at lower resolutions with settings turned down =(

+1 for Crysis, i'll be looking forward for those new DX10.1 cards the next year that seem to improve perfomance a lot ^^.

Crysis first ran on Dual X1900's with an AMD X2 at 3GHz, then dual 8800GTS's, then they scored dual 8800Ultras, now they're playing with Intel's new quadcore and 3870X2's.

And guess what? The game looks AWESOME, I'm running it on high and I swear I'm in a movie.

That doesn't make sense. Why would they make such a downgrade in their GPUs?

That doesn't make sense. Why would they make such a downgrade in their GPUs?

Cheaper? Thats the only reason I could think of it. Well the money on the second GTX went to pay for the quad as well so upgrade type thing.

Yea but they are a "Best Played on nVidia" title. Doesn't make any sense. I would think nVidia would give them whatever they need.

Hmmm....I don't know about "raping" as the 3870s have enough trouble "raping" the 8800GT. And I cant even find any numbers on the X2s.

You won't find numbers on those since they aren't out yet and won't be til early next year.

Replacing dual 8800 Ultras though? This isn't a single one theres 2 at play here.

Shell said that Crysis had been running (at Crytek? He didn't say where) on dual 8800 Ultras and then 3870X2's. I assume that he meant a pair of 3870X2s in CF.

Hmmm....I don't know about "raping" as the 3870s have enough trouble "raping" the 8800GT. And I cant even find any numbers on the X2s.

Based upon the early reviews, two 3870XTs in CF seem to beat a single 8800 Ultra by a fair margin:

http://iax-tech.com/video/3870/38703.htm

The specs that are floating around suggest that the 3870X2 has a slightly faster core clock and somewhat slower memory clock than the 3870XT, so since it is just CF on a card I think it would be a safe bet to say that the 3870X2's performance would come in just below that of 2 3870XTs in CF.

Now provided CF doesn't scale terribly with 4 GPUs (which it might) I think it is pretty likely that a pair of 3870X2s would beat out dual 8800 Ultras.

Back