• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Phenom is Here Reviews

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kuroimaho

Anandtech is the first to post their Phenom review. LINK

THe big surprise is an unlocked version which should be out this year, for 283.

Tomshardware review. LINK

Hardocp review. Link

Firingsquad from the AMD demo at Lake Tahoe. Link

Last edited:
oh 283? drool... I'm still tempted to watch it play out first before I finally upgrade... that and I want B3 stepping.

In gaming it performs better than I expected, roughly equal to a 65nm C2Q.
It seems they reached 2.6G at 1.05V so even 3G might be within reach this year with a bit more juice.

If the market competition dies, the next decade if not longer will be a sad one for processor prices. To think that quad cores will come down between $100 - $200 is great but without the competition Intel would surely be squandering them at $800 and upwards.

After reading the review, I am really disappointed. Q1 2008 looks like the time to really be reviewing and looking into AMD's quads. They're so unbelievably far behind though.,,

Looks disapointing to me. I think im going over to the new 45nm line.. AMD just doesn't have much to offer anymore :(

if thats even a peak at how they OC...

This is not what I was hoping for. I wanted a clearly more powerful processor. This is not that. AMD can do no right at this time. Hopefully their next architecture can blow the doors of Intel. Parity gives no reason to move and at this point AMD is not even close to Parity. When .45nm is released by Intel and in the second iteration of Nehalem I will buy. I will stick with Intel until AMD can once again clearly highly over dominate the Intel offering.

Was Anand at the Intel site, I thought he reviewed the Phenom. His article besides being all negative was half about Intel.
Toms wrote a Phenomenal article that covers Spider like it should.

Last edited:
it doesn't look that bad for AMD, i plan on getting 3 of these but i also want to wait for a later stepping,
reaching 3 ghz on air is not bad either, hopefully amd can fix the leaking problem soon.

Was Anand at the Intel site, I thought he reviewed the Phenom. His article besides being all negative was half about Intel.

Maybe he was disappointed, maybe he expected something like hmm how was it ? C2D Owned ?
You know it is slower than the Intel quads a year ago... but this is NATIVE. :bday:

Not bad if you have an AM2 board and if it performs the same in older mobos, I wait a few more steppings till they have something like the F3 X3800 and I get one as well, but for a new rig it does not cut it.

Maybe he was disappointed, maybe he expected something like hmm how was it ? C2D Owned ?
You know it is slower than the Intel quads a year ago... but this is NATIVE. :bday:

Not bad if you have an AM2 board and if it performs the same in older mobos, I wait a few more steppings till they have something like the F3 X3800 and I get one as well, but for a new rig it does not cut it.

For the overclocker a Q6600 rules if you are building a new system are a major overhaul. For gaming a 6400+ is just getting ripe and gets you closest. For all the other stuff a Phenom nicely tweaked is going to be a slightly better option. On media PCs and SSF, Spider is going to rule with the lowest overall power. Penryn may have the lowest CPU power draw, but the move sucks power like a bandit. I'm all in with AMD, I know is slightly slower but I still like what it offers. I do some over clocking but mostly run stock so it's not a big enough difference for the money.

Well I see in some benches with that 6400 coming out on top, so a C2D might go even further.
The problem is their clockspeed misery, would they launch 2.4-2.6 this would be something which worth to pick up, if I had to build an AMD rig now would still pick a cheap G2 brisbane over this.

The way I see Anand was already annoyed by the way they tried to force that controlled benching on the news then he got to explain that most benches will be from the AMD sponsored show and might paint a picture what AMD wants to see.

What the canned testing arena did was to show them at there finest as the FiringSquad put it best "A show for the financial sector". It does suck for us but leaves a ray of hope that we may see some wicked ocs down the road when the voltage is raised. Anand did seen Anoyd but hey, he went there with a "Penryn chip" on his shoulder.

so, what's this tom's says about power consumption and no reliable data yet? Is this true for all the reviews?

Wow, most of these reviews except perhaps Tom's make depressing reading. :(

I'm at the point where I skip all text in reviews and only look at the test setup, scores and for certain keywords like BIOS etc...

A dam shame, guess those nice Cache´s work really nice for benching.

ryboto
on the reliable power cosumption data deal, it seems neither company will be able to do anything less than 120w at 3ghz. so neither of them seem to be fighting any longer on that plane and thus are keeping their mouths shut.

A dam shame, guess those nice Cache´s work really nice for benching.

ryboto
on the reliable power cosumption data deal, it seems neither company will be able to do anything less than 120w at 3ghz. so neither of them seem to be fighting any longer on that plane and thus are keeping their mouths shut.

well, the reviews of the qx9650 show it consuming sub 80W, but it's listed as 125W part...does anyone have one? I'd like to see some user measured power levels for a system with one so we can get a better idea. If it's true and the 45nm really do use such low power, then AMD doesnt have any competition at that level.

Back