• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Modded DDC top- What do you think?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

voigts

I decided to make a modded custom DDC top. I've seen this done a couple of other times and like the look of it, so I though I would give it a go. I used plastic epoxy for the barbs and bondo for the top. Yes I realize it would look better if both barbs were black, but I had to use the Swiftech type barb for the top as it has no threads on the other end away from the barb. They are both currently under black tubing anyway so they don't show when installed.

NewDDCtop2.jpg

NewDDCtop1.jpg

Is the whole top Bondo, and by bondo do you mean the actual brand name Bondo body filler? If so that stuff is not resistant to water damage, and will begin to break apart if it is coming in direct contact with the water. You may have some plastic or something on the inside, but your pics and description don't show that. Other than the possible water damage it looks good.

Is the whole top Bondo, and by bondo do you mean the actual brand name Bondo body filler? If so that stuff is not resistant to water damage, and will begin to break apart if it is coming in direct contact with the water. You may have some plastic or something on the inside, but your pics and description don't show that. Other than the possible water damage it looks good.

I don't think that matters since the top is still the original DDC top that he just barb modded and painted.

Nice.

so did you just mod the stock top? looks good :)

...not sure about gold though. not my taste.

I thought folks would know what I did with this. Before Petras top and Alphacool were all the rage, this was the process used to improve performance on the DDCs- http://systemcooling.com/mcp350_mod-01.html.

I just used Bondo to build up the resultant mess and smoothed it all out and painted it to make it look purty.

I went with gold because this is mounted in my wood case and the gold works with the case. If I could figure out a way to make it look like stained wood to even more match the case, I would do so.

I went with gold because this is mounted in my wood case and the gold works with the case. If I could figure out a way to make it look like stained wood to even more match the case, I would do so.

Airbrush it...

I was kidding, but you can do it that way if you're a damn good at airbrushing. Oh, and damn fine job.
Dan

Back