• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Doomed & AMD cancels its 2.4GHz Phenom

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Audioaficionado

Sparkomatic Moderator
Doomed These first Phenoms just don't cut it.
http://www.overclockers.com/tips01250

2.4 No More AMD cancels its 2.4GHz Phenom at the last moment.
http://www.overclockers.com/tips01249

It's gotta be tough to have waited all this time if you are/were an AMD enthusiast.

I don't see AMD and Intel on a seesaw anymore, but more like AMD on a buzz saw.

Let's hope AMD recovers once Hector gets the boot and the latest cash infusion doesn't get squandered again.

I’m going to build a new computer in probably 8 months. I have used AMD only for that last 8 years. Probably built 10 computers for me and friends over that time.

I really want to keep using AMD. Hopefully they can come out with something that is at least close to what Intel is offering. I just can’t imagine a world without AMD…

This is the same when AMD had the A64, how many years were they on top 2-3? now is intels turn and AMD to play catch up, lets hope they can catch up.

I’m going to build a new computer in probably 8 months. I have used AMD only for that last 8 years. Probably built 10 computers for me and friends over that time.

I really want to keep using AMD. Hopefully they can come out with something that is at least close to what Intel is offering. I just can’t imagine a world without AMD…

Why stay with an less performing product if a better one exist, your only hurting your own wallet, there is no reason to keep using AMD right now that would make sense for your dollar.

its always been back and forth, i rember comming out of k62's and 3's into socket a stuff and thats when they wooped up on em for a good long time on the same basic platform.

but now they go and change the socket every time they get it seems and with new sockets it seems new problems. and i know you cant ride the same platform for ever but theres some life left in the old ones before they went to something else...kinda a rant there eh?

It's gotta be tough to have waited all this time if you are/were an AMD enthusiast.

I bought the cheapest X2 I could find earlier this year and I'm very happy with it. Sure I'm waiting for a Phenom, but other than my F@H scores (not that I have the money to keep up with most of the folders anyway) I am very happy with what I have now. When Phenom is ready I'll be ready to buy it.

In fact, other than F@H, my system handles everything I throw at it with ease.

I was going to get the X2 processor but C2D came up and WOWed me by its superior performance in general and specifically SMP_FAH.

Anyway when my Xeon Duallie crashed and burned, I got the best bang for the buck at that time. It happened to be a single socket C2D platform that only cost me $50 (ASRock dual VSTA) and allowed me to slowly migrate over to a DDR2 and PCIe platform as I could piece meal it together starting with my old duallie DDR, PCI and AGP components.

I just won't be blindly loyal to any corporation that doesn't care about me as a consumer. Neither AMD or Intel get my undying loyalty.

If AMD ever gets back on top, if it can survive as an independent processor manufacturer, I'll consider getting their processor/platform if there is a good techical/performance reason to do so. I'll most likely be looking at dual socket multi-core workstations for my next major build. AMD is more competitive in that area than the desktop market.

Right now my Asus Commando can run a quad core with 8GB of RAM. That much RAM would only cost me $240 freakin' bux today and I'm really bummed that I just can't swing that paultry sum right now and take advantage of the rediculous low pricing DDR2 has dropped to these days. It can't last much longer :(

I don't see AMD as doomed. I do however see that when they picked up ATi. They got the ability to do vapor launches. :rolleyes: The road map is a mess right now.

Even if AMD does go down the drain. No more bail out from OEM's getting low end parts or major infusions of cash. What of ATi? This is more then CPUs now. It will effect VGA too.

I don't see AMD and Intel on a seesaw anymore, but more like AMD on a buzz saw.
Comments like this make me ill. Many said the same about Intel while K8's were kickin a$$ & takin names. It is just a big flip-flop game. I don't set on either side of the fence, I too flip-flop. Just have to ride it out and hope they can pull through. We look at things through the eyes of an enthusiast where in reality we are a tiny portion of the market. I think if AMD keeps on it they will be able to catch up.

Ed's articlessensational rantsseem to get worse in grammar and spelling every time he talks about AMD. :-/
What is this? AMD's second flop?
The 2.4GHz Phenom has not been canceled and AMD is not doomed until imminent death.

AMD can still recover, and think of how well they would be doing if they did not have soo many consumer zombies that only the one name they know, Intel. Purchasing the inferior and horribly overpriced thanks to their ignorance.

They're lucky Intel has the better product right now or they'd still be making themselves look like fools, wait, they still do, I know numerous people who insisted on buying a 3.6GHz P4 over the equally priced 2GHz C2D because they refuse to hinder their own arrogance.

Brand loyalty is ridiculous...regardless of who is wrapped up in it. No corporation cares one wit for your well being and would happily step over your body to get a buck from the next guy in line. Don't kid yourselves about it one bit....buy the best product for your money. If any corporation goes under another will step in and provide whatever the buying public wants.....always been that way....always will.

Brand loyalty is ridiculous...regardless of who is wrapped up in it. No corporation cares one wit for your well being and would happily step over your body to get a buck from the next guy in line. Don't kid yourselves about it one bit....buy the best product for your money. If any corporation goes under another will step in and provide whatever the buying public wants.....always been that way....always will.
QFT :thup:

Let's hope thats what happens. If AMD does go under I pray someone steps up to the plate fast. It would have to be someone with money, and drive, and a history in the processor market. Someone like IBM.

Ed's articlessensational rantsseem to get worse in grammar and spelling every time he talks about AMD. :-/

Yeah. I read it and other posts and that guy seems kind of whack. Who exactly is that guy and why do people read his stuff? What kind of cred does he have? Is he an intel employee or have lots of intel stock?

All I know is this is going to take time AMD was on top for a long time and now it is Intel's turn at bat .
I am not a fanboy of any one of the companies but If IBM came up with a CPU that smoked Intel and AMD I know one thing I would get it !
So for now my choice is Intel and more than likely I am going to get a quad core soon from Intel as they are faster stronger and just kickass!

Yeah. I read it and other posts and that guy seems kind of whack. Who exactly is that guy and why do people read his stuff? What kind of cred does he have? Is he an intel employee or have lots of intel stock?
He's on of the founders who started this forum several years ago. He's also forgotten more about computers than you know.

Not sure why this is surprising. Surely it's a yield issue.

Notice the focus on the "Spider" platform instead of the Phenom CPU? AMD has known for months that this round of CPUs is bust in the marketplace.

Brand loyalty is not ridiculous! Some people like Fords, Other like GMC. I am personally a GM fan but I did buy a Nissan Titan in 05 just because I really liked the truck and the price was great. In reality all the truck brands are pretty close. Kind of like Intel and AMD.

Sure on benchmarks Intel has an advantage. But I would be willing to bet if I set you down in front of two unmarked computers, one with Intel and the other with AMD with CPU’s at the same price point (everything else the same). You would be hard pressed to tell a difference in 95% or the apps and games. 70 FPS or 65FPS, not going to make much of a difference.

If the difference is slight, say 30-40 bucks and maybe 10% overall speed difference. I’m still going with AMD. But if the gap gets too ridiculous then I have no problems buying Intel.

It would be like not buying the Nissan because the Ford is 1 second faster in the ¼ mile. Your not going to notice 99% of the time (BTY my Nissan kills F150s :)). Brand loyalty if fine within reason, just like everything in life…

Back