• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win Vista 32bit and 3GB Ram issue.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shrekk

Hello, I have a Q6600 with a eVGA mobo and 2 8800 GTXes in SLi.
I had 2GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2 and all was fine. But memory is so cheap now I was looking at getting another 2GB. But after reading up on it, it seems as if Vista 32bit will only use 3GB so instead of wasting the money on 2GB I decided to just go with one more 1GB (2x512) But after installing it windows says I only have 2.5GB Ram. :confused: CPU-Z says I have 3GB installed. Any ideas on why windows is only seeing 2.5GB?

:welcome: to the forums :D:D

Remember that 4gb is the limit *of all memory in your computer* for Windows XP.

That includes your graphics card (if I heard this correctly).

:welcome: to the forums :D:D

Remember that 4gb is the limit *of all memory in your computer* for Windows XP.

That includes your graphics card (if I heard this correctly).

I'm on Vista! So your saying that my GTXes with 768MB of Ram is limiting me?

And thanks for the welcome! :D

I believe so. ;)

So if I removed one of my GTXes I would get all 3GB's of memory?
Wow that blows! lol thanks for the fast reply Thid! this was driving me nuts.
As if I needed any help with that :bang head

lol

So if I removed one of my GTXes I would get all 3GB's of memory?
Wow that blows! lol thanks for the fast reply Thid! this was driving me nuts.
As if I needed any help with that :bang head

lol
Are they in SLi?

Then taking one out will not increase it ;)

so is the vid ram counted as just 768MB or is it 768MB x2?
Because if its counted as just 768MB if I'm on a 4GB limit then with my 3GB of ram I would be at 3.76GB right? But if its counted as 768MBx2 then thats 1.5GB of used Ram space. And that would explain why I can only use 2.5GB of my installed 3GB.
I may take one card out and fire it up just to see whats up.

so is the vid ram counted as just 768MB or is it 768MB x2?
Because if its counted as just 768MB if I'm on a 4GB limit then with my 3GB of ram I would be at 3.76GB right? But if its counted as 768MBx2 then thats 1.5GB of used Ram space. And that would explain why I can only use 2.5GB of my installed 3GB.
I may take one card out and fire it up just to see whats up.
As far as I know, SLi does not double the memory.

I know I'm forgetting it. It isn't pagefiling....GAH, sorry, I can't remember. :(

Maybe someone can chime in.

Yes 2 8800GTX cards will drop you to 2.5GB because of the 1.5GB of total memory on the cards. dont ask me why or how. go vista 64-bit. 4gb ram visible and a whole lot of fun.

Back