• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cant overclock my new 4600+ x2. Not even 1MHz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Thomasj

I just got a new AMD Athlon 4600+ x2 and was hoping to get some pretty good numbers out of it. If I over clock by just 1MHz I get a screen at start up that says " Warning system running in safe mode please re-setting cpu Frequency in CMOS set up" or something like that. It says press F1 to continue, delete to enter set up. If I hit F1 I can start windows with no problems but when I check the CPU it is running at 2411MHz. So my changes are not being applied. I have never had this problem before. How do I get around this or what do I need to change?

All I did was swap out a sempron 3400+ 1.8G for a Athlon 4600+ 2.4G. Before the swap I did reset the factory settings in the bios.

I had my Sempron 1.8 running at 2.43G problem free and never passed 33*C.

I must be missing something simple. I hope

Could you post your full computer specs please? Include motherboard, psu, gpu, ram etc...

But try setting your RAM at the lowest frequency and see if that works. Then adjust the HT Bus Multiplier from 5x to 4x

make sure the mobo is correctly setting your mem timings and voltage and cpu voltage i had the excact same prob on this mobo and proc and all i had to do was up the mem voltage. was supposed to be 1.9 was 1.8 set to 2.0 fixed the prob. also make sure your not running in power saver mode (had to ask:))

this remindes me of that virus protection thingy option in the bios... I used to have one of those on a older board and if I forgot to turn it off before touching the fsb/multipliers it would start up saying something simular to yours Thomasj.

thats if its a bios thingy that shows up before you get anywhere.

IF its a windows matter, I cant make out reading from what you wrote, that its windows complaining about newly added hardware? then Id just reinstall windows with your new hardware in at the time when you do so.

that should stop it from complaining if its something like that.

this remindes me of that virus protection thingy option in the bios... I used to have one of those on a older board and if I forgot to turn it off before touching the fsb/multipliers it would start up saying something simular to yours Thomasj.

thats if its a bios thingy that shows up before you get anywhere.

IF its a windows matter, I cant make out reading from what you wrote, that its windows complaining about newly added hardware? then Id just reinstall windows with your new hardware in at the time when you do so.

that should stop it from complaining if its something like that.

It's not OS related because the BIOS is resetting itself due to instability.

But yes as stated above, make sure your RAM's voltage is set correctly. Some motherboards (eg my TF7050) sets the RAM at default 1.85v and some RAM modules really do require 2v to be stable at stock. Try that first.

Ok. First of all let me thank you all for the replies. I have looked for help on many other forums and got zip.

I have actually got it to go up to 204 fsb, but going to 205 gives me the message again.

My specs are.

Biostar NF61s-M2A SE
Athlon 4600+ x2
Kington 1GB DDR2 800MHz
Antec NSK4480 Case W/OCZ powerstream 520w PSU. 620w peak
Western digital 250GB SATA hard drive.
LG all in one drive
ASUS X1950 PRO

Here are the shots of cpu and memory info from CPUz

sldkflskdf.jpg
d54re7k.jpg
ggergergt.jpg

Here is a shot from when I had the sempron With the exact same stuff only I had Kingston DDR2 667 vs my current 800

dfgdsfgdsfg.jpg

Here is a shot of the ram settings in my bios. Anything you see that i need to change?

Photo0430.jpg

Last edited:
Could you post your full computer specs please? Include motherboard, psu, gpu, ram etc...

But try setting your RAM at the lowest frequency and see if that works. Then adjust the HT Bus Multiplier from 5x to 4x

This worked! I dropped my HT from 5x to 4x and I tried a 210 fsb and it worked. My cpu is running at 2527mhz and my HT is at 842mhz.

So does the lower HT affect performace any. Is it better to sacrafice one to gain the other?

yes Lowered HT does effect performance but its not by that much I figour.

most important is getting your ram to run at the fastest possible speed
for the amount of OC in mhz you want.

so if you can get maximum 2500 Mhz, is it best to use:

208 bus x 12 mulitiplier = 2496 mhz (4x HT mulitipier = 832 HT) (ram running 208x2x2= 832 )

or

250 bus x 10 multiplier = 2500 mhz (4x HT multiplier = 1000 HT) (ram running 250x2x2= 1000 )

most of the time the higher bus will win out in a duel.
So find the highest ram mhz yours can handel and start from there, then the highest your cpu can run stable in mhz and then figour out how to get as close to that without going to far over 1000 HT mark or to far under it.

thats besically what I understand about overclocking which granted isnt much.. Im still waiting on a AM2 cooler before I can start testing out stuff on my new rig.

:welcome:

I've only gotten one to run around 2.5+ but could never really get it stable. It will need around 1.4V and some really good cooling and airflow. I'm not sure what the weakness of that series but I've never seen one oc well.

Swedishfrog Mad Scientist

The motherboard and quality ram will play heavy dividends; not to mention patience with good air cooling...

Just OC'd further after understanding overvolting:

2.88ghz, 1.52v = 1.3125+0.200v; 262x11
262x4
206Mhz @ 3-3-3-7-1T 166 div

chassis wire management + fan placements -
removed internal 120mm fan
installed OCZ XTC DDR twin fan cooler
cleaned filters + HSF
will need to lap both the HSF + CPU IHF too

Soon transplating into CM-690 mid-ATX - because air-flow exchange is far more important, especially for this A8N32SLI Deluxe with heatpipe NB-SB.

It would be easier with PC4000 DDR...? Nayway.

I had the same problem (couldn't go over 206MHZ) until I set HT link multiple to x4 instead of x5.
HT Link can't go over 1000MHZ.

Usually I just set my HT multi to 3x. It really don't make a difference in terms of performance until you start going down to a 200-300MHz HT link speed (a 1x multi basically). This would probably not be the case if you had two high end video cards in crossfire/SLI.

Back