• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PSU advice for Digital Audio Workstation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dsd

Registered
Hello

I'm putting together a computer for my recording studio and from what I've researched I'm thinking about a Corsair PSU, I'm not sure which size PSU I need. I need something quiet which I've heard Corsairs are. I'll be overclocking, nothing extreme but I'm going to pump it up a bit. I'll also be running 1 pci audio card and 2 pci dsp effects cards(UAD). Here are my specs:

MOTB: still deciding
Processor: Q6600 w zalman cpu cooler
Ram: 4 1 gig sticks (brand depending on MOTB)
PSU: Corsair
Hard drives: 1-80GB Sata 2 -500GB Sata (maybe another 500 gb eventually)
DVD burner: Samsung?
Graphics: 16 x dual screen fanless video card (still deciding but I don't need a gaming graphics card)
3 PCI slots will be filled with the above mentioned cards
I'll be occasionally use a external usb or esata drive for backing up.

Thanks

P.S I've been using a 300 watt Sparkle for years on the following system slightly over clocked, with no problems. I'm running the same audio pci cards that I talk about above

Abit Nf7
AMD 2.4
1 gig ram
3 IDE hard drives
Matrox G450
Dvd burner

Last edited:
VX450 or HX520 would be my suggestions - those are the Seasonic built models. Earthwatts is an 80mm fan design and will not be as quiet.

Thanks for the replies guys, lots of good info:)

That's good to know I can save a little $$$ and don't need a huge PSU . In your opinions between the Corsair and the Seasonic, is one quieter than the other? Are these about as quiet as it gets? I have heard a lot of good about both.

I do have a machine room but the noise still likes to creep through.

Thanks for the replies guys, lots of good info:)

That's good to know I can save a little $$$ and don't need a huge PSU . In your opinions between the Corsair and the Seasonic, is one quieter than the other? Are these about as quiet as it gets? I have heard a lot of good about both.

I do have a machine room but the noise still likes to creep through.

DSD,

Speaking from "hands on" experience, when I first bought this Corsair, I had to physically look for a few weeks to see if it was running. That's how quiet it is. I understand they are all that way.

Are these about as quiet as it gets? I have heard a lot of good about both.

The FSP Zen will do it too if you want something totally fanless, but I'd make sure the case has some airflow going though it if you use a fanless unit.

Back