Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Motherboards > AMD Motherboards
AMD Motherboards
Forum Jump

MSI K8N Neo2

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 11-22-07, 01:01 PM Thread Starter   #1
blue_fusion

MSI K8N Neo2

Alright I have the Msi K8n Neo2 motherboard and right now I am running 2 IDE hdd's, I was wondering if it was possible to run Sata Hdd's as well as IDE hdd's on the same motherboard? Is that possible?
blue_fusion is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Overclockers Approved
Which motherboard should you buy? Get the final word here. Check out the latest Overclockers reviews:
ASRock Z77 OC Formula Motherboard Review

ASRock teamed up with overclocker Nick Shih to make a high-end overclocking-based, yet functional for all users, motherboard named the Z77 OC Formula. It appears they have achieved it. Read More.

Get it at NewEgg for $239.99
ASUS Maximus V Formula Motherboard

The Maximus V Formula is part of the ROG (Republic of Gamers) series of motherboards, which in itself brings a high level of expectation. It's a no brainer, Overclockers Approved! Read more.

Get it at NewEgg for $279.99
Old 11-22-07, 01:05 PM   #2
the_cultie

First off, to the forums.

To answer your question, yes, it is possible to run SATA drives along with your IDE drives

Folding for Team32

"Whoa whoa whoa, we don't discuss leaving systems stock here. You'd overclock it for a few reasons. It makes it faster and because you can." - thideras

Folding User Stats
the_cultie is offline Folding Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-22-07, 01:17 PM Thread Starter   #3
blue_fusion

Really? I just did the smart thing and do some research. And from what I read it says that you set it up in the bios but you can only run one type of drive at a time. Did I read it wrong? Or is there a way to convert IDE connectors to SATA connectors?
Old 11-22-07, 01:25 PM   #4
the_cultie

It is perfectly fine to have SATA drives and IDE drives connected at the same time. I was running with two sata drives in a RAID and an IDE drive connected for months everyday with no problems at all. I even have a similar if not the same board. If you are still unsure, just have everything backed up before you add the drives

Folding for Team32

"Whoa whoa whoa, we don't discuss leaving systems stock here. You'd overclock it for a few reasons. It makes it faster and because you can." - thideras

Folding User Stats
Old 11-22-07, 01:29 PM   #5
trowakage

There is a way to convert,, but as cultie said, there should be absolutely no need to, pretty much any nforce4 board will be able to run both drives together. You DO have to, however, make sure both IDE and SATA controllers are enabled in your BIOS (on my Gigabyte channels 1-2 is IDE, channels 3-4 is SATA)

2x1gb OCZ Platinum DDR2-1066
ECS nvidia Geforce 9600GT 512mb PCI-E Passive
Western Digital 250gb 7200rpm SATAII HDD w/ 16mb cache
Enermax Liberty DXX 500W PSU
trowakage is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-22-07, 01:34 PM Thread Starter   #6
blue_fusion

Ok. Im going to have to do some more research on this. Can any of you guys point me in the direction of some reading materials? That will be very helpful.
Old 11-22-07, 01:59 PM   #7
trowakage

It'd be good for you to point us to where you read that they won't work together.

2x1gb OCZ Platinum DDR2-1066
ECS nvidia Geforce 9600GT 512mb PCI-E Passive
Western Digital 250gb 7200rpm SATAII HDD w/ 16mb cache
Enermax Liberty DXX 500W PSU
trowakage is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-22-07, 03:29 PM Thread Starter   #8
blue_fusion

I also have another question. I have the normal K8N Neo2, can I flash the normal boards bios with those of the platinums bios? Will that have any benefits?
Old 11-22-07, 04:05 PM   #9
the_cultie

I'm not sure that you can do that, the flash utility might detect the different board. However if you could I doubt there would be any benifits what so ever. It could even lead to instability. My advice would be if it's not broke don't fix it.

I'd also like to see where you read that the SATA drives and IDE won't work together.

Folding for Team32

Folding User Stats

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Motherboards > AMD Motherboards
AMD Motherboards