• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how to clean dust etc. from parts?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gamefan

I have only ever used a vacuum attachment (with the fine bristles), a fine(ish) paint brush, a kleenex, a rag, a feather duster, etc. But I can never say with any confidence how much I can do, especially when there is a lot to do. For instance I know I have to do a couple complete rebuilds soon, and I'd like to be able to tackle the whole thing. The problem includes static. How much static will a paint brush cause if I use it all over a sound card, or a video card, or a mobo, or a HDD, etc. Should I disconnect from all power? Can I drag a working vacuum attachment over it. What can I do. If I am gonna take it apart anyways what wouod you do? I have heard people say I couod even submerse parts, but get real. I just wanna cover every square mm, but without knowing any more about the static discharge from things, any furhter discussion is just asking for problems, pushing it?

Also,
I want to get a tube of good AS5 or whatever. Of course I also want it to be as heat effective as possible. But also, beyond that, I do not want to have to replace it for the life of the install: maybe 4 yrs or more it will be important. Is there a specific product in the greater list of really good products (AS5, AS ceramique, etc.) that is best to use if its not gonna be replaced for 4/5 years? eg. I plan on assembling a E6850, TR U120E, 2x1GB CB 6400s on Asus P5K-E/Wifi-AP, overclock it, and, I plan to build it currently with AS5 and DO NOT intend to touch it (change it) ever; ie. for 5 years. Is there a better recc than AS5 for this?

Last edited:
Best thing for dust for me, is to first blow on it (with the vac nearby to pick up the stuff), then a can of compressed air for the harder to reach and more stuck on stuff (compressed air is expensive, hence step 1).

As for TIMs that last, ceramique is the way to go, performance ALMOST as good as AS5, but has none of the degradation problems.

I would blow around the dust with compressed air (to get it out of parts) then take a small vaccume and lightly go near the parts and around the case.

REPEAT

Avoid using a regular vacuum, static is an enemy there.. Supposedly, battery powered mini vacuums are safe, but I wouldn't risk it.. Compressed air ftw..

Avoid using a regular vacuum, static is an enemy there.. Supposedly, battery powered mini vacuums are safe, but I wouldn't risk it.. Compressed air ftw..

just make sure if your using an air compressor that you drain the tank of any water... it tends to acumulate quite quickly... least in mine, although we use it quite a bit.

Electric leafblower. Take it outside, open the case, and blow away. Cleans everything safely in like 10 seconds.

just make sure if your using an air compressor that you drain the tank of any water... it tends to acumulate quite quickly... least in mine, although we use it quite a bit.

Oh man... I have this image of turning an air compressor on my gaming rig as a stream of water hoses down the motherboard... and in slow motion I yell: "Noooooooooooo!" :eek:

Canned air is always on sale somewhere, just buy the cheapest package and use the little red tube that goes in the nozzle to blow dust away. Whatever you do do not EVER shake, tilt, or turn that can upside down. The liquid that comes out is cold enough to give you severe frostbite almost instantly, I've got a scar on my arm where i turned it into a frozen chip of ice.

haha, new way of extreme cooling?

ya its fun to freeze stuff with canned air, like bugs! then light it on fire!

Canned air is always on sale somewhere, just buy the cheapest package and use the little red tube that goes in the nozzle to blow dust away...

The problem with canned air is that it's not economical in the long run. You can get a very nice little 1HP/2Gal compressor at Sears for around $90, or the cost of 20 cans. Lasts a heck of a lot longer, is far more powerful, can be used for other things, like tire/sports gear inflation and keeps the load on the landfill down.

The problem with canned air is that it's not economical in the long run. You can get a very nice little 1HP/2Gal compressor at Sears for around $90, or the cost of 20 cans. Lasts a heck of a lot longer, is far more powerful, can be used for other things, like tire/sports gear inflation and keeps the load on the landfill down.

yup! my dad got a 5hp 135 gallon compressor, not sure how much or which brand, i think craftsmen. its got a million uses, from making a more power full flame thrower to recharging a found fire extinguisher filled with soap and water :D loads of fun!

Back