• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dedicated Raid Card?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Boosted98gsx

If I wanted to go off of the Mobo and add in a RAID controller, would I see any benefits from my RAID 0 setup for the $300 investment? I don't think I can matrix my array with my current controller (ATI), so I am tempted to see what I can get. Also, would I have to reset my entire system to be able to change controllers? Or could I simply make a backup, and reload the array once I get the array changed over?

Sorry for being a newb about this stuff.

LSI is your best bet. I saw a performance and reliability gain when I built our server at work, I can't speak for home use but I would imagine it's the same. Expect your computer to take forever to boot though.

OK let me clarify some thigns here.

Raid 0 is doubtfull to have much enhancements going from onboard to dedicated. dedicated benefits when doing more complex raid levels where parity is an issue not just splitting data.

You will not be able to boot your OS from the raid card because it will not have the drivers loaded to the OS and you will bluescreen. if you somehow make it work your OS will have issues. just reload a fresh OS. its about that time anyways.

3-ware makes the best sata raid cards on the planet in my opinion. they are fast reliable and they outperform every other card on the market.

I used to have dedicated raid cards in my old workstation, one was SCSI and the other was IDE. In a server they are grate, supporting many disks and raid 5.

In my workstation the SCSI was good for reads and not bad for writes (140 MB/s WRITES) thanks to the XOR, and its the XOR, a dedicated processor used for "exclusive OR" calculations that makes a real raid card expensive.

For a PC these are complete overkill.
Yes there is a snappy-ness to the old raid 5 SCI (edit:2 there should be two "S" in SCSI!) set but with 10 disks at 10K rpm you would expect that to be the case.

I still use raid cards in my personal servers, doing multi disk raid 5 and one does 1TB of raid 10.

The other thing with Raid cards is they need bandwidth, you would need an PCI-E-8X/(4X at a push) or a PCI-X 100/133MHz slot.

conclusion with two disks not much point.

Some software like some Linux (Gparted?) cloning software could be used to image the running system to the new system, but install the drivers for the new card first so that when windows boots, it can use them. but you would need free disks.

3ware also have a SAS card now, don't know how this compares to ARECA or ATTO cards.

edit:: I have personaly installed an OS installed a raid card later, ghosted the OS to the new card (with drivers already installed in to the OS) and booted the OS off the raid card.

Last edited:
Back