• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8800gts with super crappy Dell PSU.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DeepSky

Hey guys, quick question.

I recently sold my old 8800gts to a friend who has some crappy Dell with some crappy Dell PSU and the computer runs fine and doesn't randomly restart but the GPU is running really really hot (like 65C idle).

I think that the PSU is under powering the graphics card and I was wondering if prolonged under powering of the card will hurt it?

Hey guys, quick question.

I recently sold my old 8800gts to a friend who has some crappy Dell with some crappy Dell PSU and the computer runs fine and doesn't randomly restart but the GPU is running really really hot (like 65C idle).

I think that the PSU is under powering the graphics card and I was wondering if prolonged under powering of the card will hurt it?

someone can correct me if i'm wrong but if the card plays games and don't reboot the sys you got enuf power. imo the high temps are most likely due to bad air flow.

imo the high temps are most likely due to bad air flow.

Originally thats what I thought at first, we all know how ****ty low end Dell cases are so I had my friend pop the side off and put a 16" diameter house fan next to the side of the case and the temps got better but not normal.

I had a 6800gt, I popped off the side of my case and put a huge fan directly on it, the temp would still get up to 120C.

Currently I have a 8800gt and I do the same thing as the 6800gt when playing big games like Gears of War or Call of Duty and it keeps it at 55C FULL LOAD.

Do you have the fan 100%? on the card? that is what really made the difference to me.
65C isn't so bad if thats full load, if thats not doing anything than yah that is kinda hot.

Right now I have the fan at 100% at all times. The card idles at 65C with the side of case off and big fan.

I'm know that if you put too much voltage into a device rated for a specific voltage it will overheat, but I also thought that if you don't provide certain devices (not just talking computers here now) that it can also cause them to overheat? Maybe I'm wrong there but I can't think of any other reason why it would be running so hot.

wow that is pretty bad. That sounds like my old graphics card. The reason mine was so bad is because it was 3 years old and had like 4 inches of dust in its heat sink and the thermal paste was all dryed up.

Might just tell him he has to invest in a after market cooler.

Well then it gets even stranger :)

The card went right from my computer where it idled at 52C and into his machine where it idles 60C (after I took the side of case off).

I can't explain it??

Dell PSU's aren't crappy, Dell won't use crappy PSUs, They don't want lots of customers rambling got any pics of the label?

They don't want lots of customers rambling got any pics of the label?

Aww man do I feel dumb. I guess I just assumed Dell used crappy PSU's so I didn't even think about checking the amperage ratings. That'd prolly be a good place to start huh?

Back