• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crazy custom setup for lounge, need advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wfarid

So I'm setting up an audio (and video, we'll talk audio for now) system for a lounge (as a favor for family members). So far I have 8 (300 watt) in ceiling speakers powered by a 350 watt (@ 8ohms) amp. It gets surprisingly loud without distortion. I also got a 350 watt sub (powered). I don't remember what inputs it has but it can take blunt wire and RCA (it might be able to take XLR/ 1/4" but I'm not sure, regardless since the sub isn't going to be near the laptop and we have lots of monster 14 guage wire left, we are just going to use the wire). The source is going to be a laptop. I was thinking of getting the creative X-mod (with the crystalizer). But the problem with that is that it only has one output so I'd have to get a mini to a y blunt wire or 2 banana y cables (one for the sub and one for the amp). Or possibly getting some USB external sound solution (maybe the Zalman). The place is big (3,500sq feet) and I've been running 14 gauge wire from each speaker--the speakers are then connected to an 8 channel speaker selector box (each speaker gets put into its own channel and the speakers get powered equally) which then gets hooked up to the amp.

The reason I'm using a laptop is because they have one laying around so I thought why not use it (gotta keep costs low).

As for the video end, they are getting 4 32inch lcd's (Olevia 1080i) that they want daisy chained. So I am thinking of getting an AITech Hdview PC to HDTV Converter and then connecting that to a CELABS AV400Comp (which is a 1 X 4 component splitter) and then simply connecting the hdview to the laptop and configuring it that way.

Btw the same laptop is going to be powering both the video and audio...
There is a possiblity of getting an old 2.4 gig pentium 4 desktop system (hp, its 3 yrs old) but I think the laptop is newer and faster. I aslo have a lot of ddr sdram and a 160gb parallel 2.5" drive sitting around.

Any suggestions or recommendations?

Last edited:
Back