• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows XP SP3 Yields Performance Gains Over Vista SP1

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Interesting, don't read the comments though.
Seconded. 10 comments in and I'm already beating my head :bang head.
Fanbois of just about evreything got in their word...

Anyway, are there any other major changes SP3 is bringing? Or is it just a glorified bugfix with a possiable 10% performance boost?

Rumour from the Inquirer was that it included Network Access Protection, improved cryptography (which would be handy in light of the recent news about the random number generator) and the crappy activation scheme from Vista.

Interesting, don't read the comments though.

From the bottom of the page: "Note: Anonymous commenting is disabled in order to keep the quality of responses to a high standard."

Sheesh, I'd hate to see the quality of responses if it wasn't disabled. I'll wait a bit and see what complaints SP3 brings out, then decide whether to recommend it or not on a case-by-case basis...

Rumour from the Inquirer was that it included Network Access Protection, improved cryptography (which would be handy in light of the recent news about the random number generator) and the crappy activation scheme from Vista.

The activation scheme is supposed to only be that you don't have to put in the key when installing. VLK's and such for business and schools shouldn't be an issue.

Of course we know nothing till sp3 rtm is out, but thats what I've been reading.

Vista is better anyway, so what's the point in saying one service pack is more performance gains?

Vista is better anyway, so what's the point in saying one service pack is more performance gains?

Because some of us don't want Vista at the moment and plan to keep using xp for the foreseeable future? Why does it matter to you if people care?

XP is still King for Audio Applications in need of ultra-low latency. But I'm beginning to like Vista as my Online/Main OS.

I hear quite a few things will be addressed in Vista SP1 (Waking up from Hibernation much faster for Laptops is a biggie) - so I'm looking forward to it (but I'll still use XP for my DAW's).

:cool:

I couldn't help but notice that they were only using 1GB of RAM in the test system. I noticed a BIG difference when I recently upgraded my laptop's ram from 1GB to 2GB (both dual channel setups.....2x512MB and then 2x1GB) I do still have some issues with slow file copies, but not as much as before. My fps in WoW also doubled with the ram upgrade.....vista is definitely RAM hungry, but then again DDR2 is cheap!

My laptop is not a gaming machine, but it will still enable me to play WoW and CS:Source with low settings. (Acer Aspire 5050, MK36 Turion <single core @ 2GHz>, 2GB RAM, and integrated x1100 gfx....essentially an x300 for gfx.)

I would like to see them do the tests again with at least 2GB of RAM before jumping to conclusions.

Vista minimum RAM is 512MB for Premium and above, where XP min requirements are 128MB. It would be nice to see the tests where both systems use 2 times the minimum RAM rather than Vista having 2x the min and XP having 8x the min required RAM.

Just my 2cents.....:beer:

Very interesting. In gaming XP is equal or a tad better than Vista now. So 10% increase, if you get that in gaming is a big deal.

If it also gives more security without the crappy Vista UAC type of program thats even better than Vista.

Its a dam good thing XP support ends at the same time Vista support ends. No plan to go to Vista unless some MUST have DX10 game comes out. Have not seen anything close to that yet for me.

Hopefully they will get Windows 7 out long before 2012 when XP/Vista support ends

As long Microsoft's site haven't say anything bout it "officially", it is still beta.

"Probably" Redduc has it. :D

I just installed Vista on my laptop, making that Vista on both machines.

There are a lot of very stupid things about this OS...but, frankly, i kind of like a lot of parts about it. It was a big hesitation to go from XP though, especially on my laptop. In fact, i'd argue, the only reason its on my desktop is because of Media Center. And the only reason its on my laptop is because its on my desktop.

Meh...

Back