• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recommend a good USB flash drive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Firestrider

So I'm looking in investing a USB flash drive finally after having to using a friend's external drive to make backups of my hard drive and transfering data from computer to computer.

I'm looking only to put drivers, diagnostic tools and benchmarks on this drive (maybe windows xp or windows vista) so I figure 8 GB is enough. I still use a floppy disk to do Memtest86 so hopefully I can just run it with a USB flash drive now.

The cheaper the better :)

So I'm looking in investing a USB flash drive finally after having to using a friend's external drive to make backups of my hard drive and transfering data from computer to computer.

I'm looking only to put drivers, diagnostic tools and benchmarks on this drive (maybe windows xp or windows vista) so I figure 8 GB is enough. I still use a floppy disk to do Memtest86 so hopefully I can just run it with a USB flash drive now.

The cheaper the better :)

Personally I would go with something like this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233037

I'd go with the OCZ ATV 8GB. Ocz is the only one I know of that makes dual channel flash drives... someone correct me if I'm wrong on that.

I had a CORSAIR Flash Voyager 2GB and it was slow as could be compared to my 1GB Ocz rally, the rally was easily twice as fast when writing (most important factor in a drive if you ask me). I don't know if it was my southbridge (ICH9) or what... flash drive performance will vary depending on what southbridge you have since thats where the usb controller is.

I know some people have been already bad talking the corsairs, but I have the 2 GB Voyager GT and I enjoy the speed and durability of it. I keep it around with me in my wallet.

I know some people have been already bad talking the corsairs, but I have the 2 GB Voyager GT and I enjoy the speed and durability of it. I keep it around with me in my wallet.

I don't know where people are coming up with durability for corsair flash drive. It is most fragile usb drive that I ever had, only had 3 of them. I would be very afraid putting it in to a pocket.

flashdr.JPG

I don't know where people are coming up with durability for corsair flash drive. It is most fragile usb drive that I ever had, only had 3 of them. I would be very afraid putting it in to a pocket.

flashdr.JPG

o man that would suck

i think i may get one of thoes really thing usb keys and stick it in my wallet. cus i dont really trust the current lexar jumpdrive i have... its only 128mb and have been throught the wash bout 5 times :eek:

I am not sure if they make an 8gb version but I am a big fan of the sandisk cruzers. The retractable USB plug is nice feature. No need to worry about it breaking off or losing caps. I beat mine around for a couple months now and it is still going strong.

EDIT
Yep, they do. Link

Last edited:
Back