• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need a new Printer and Scanner... Any suggestions?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TommyHolly

Well after about 8 years of good use, I can no longer get my scanner and printer to work right. Its time I get new ones but the question is, which one?

I have had a HP Deskjet 932C Printer and a HP Scanjet 2100C and have been completely happy. But there is alot of choices out there now so here are a few questions:

1. Should I just get the newer models and stick with HP? (My grandfather has a newer HP printer and for some reason the software that came with it isnt as easy to use as my older printer and scanner?)
2. Any other brands that you guys are really happy with?
3. I don't really want to spend more than $200 total. I went to Tiger Direct and seen I could get a Printer and Scanner together for under $100 but I don't mind paying more for something really nice.
4. I might consider one of those all-in-one jobs but from my experience, something always breaks down and then the whole unit is worthless.
5. I usually shop at Tigerdirect down the street or just get something online. Any other place I should look?

Thanks! :)

I'm in the same boat. I'm considering buying a color laser printer/scanner and just getting toner refill kits off of ebay. I'm a bit sick of paying 20-30 bucks for ink cartridges that only last 300 pages.

Get a laser, its WELL worth it, dell has them on sale all the time (color) or you can always get a cheap b/w for around $50 on the egg/staples, etc.

I've refilled mine once with the $9 ebay toner refills, and it actually worked great.
For inkjets, canons are awesome and cheap ink.

Reading through about 10 reviews on Cnet.com, the HP Officejet Pro L7680 All-in-One had the highest ratings but it's price at just over $300 is slightly more than I was looking to pay...however if it's worth it, I always go for the value vs price.

That said you guys are all pushing the Laserjet which starts at around $500+ and thats not even for a all-in-one? I'm not too concerned about saving money on ink cartridges because there is some ink store down the street that sells refills cheap. I don't think I want to spend that much on just a printer which I won't use that much.

So bottomline tomorrow when I go shopping, is it worth getting the all-in-one vs a seperate Printer and Scanner?

I have a Epson DX5000 AIO, I got it for a shade under 100$, It's been great and the ink is cheap(aftermarket) I have a Epson Photoplus C300 I think... It's still working now, I've had it for around 2years.

All-in-ones are usually trash unless you spend a lot of money. I would look for seperate units, and would lean towards a laser printer. It saves a lot of money and hassle, and prints fast to boot :).

Brother printers have treated me alright, so I would recommend those because of their low price. I bought my b/w for about $70. Color lasers start at around $300, but do get kind of pricy. However, they will last MUCH longer than your inkjet, and will save you a ton of money in the long run.

Hmmm, the whole Color Laserjet thing is just out of my range at the moment. (I had no idea that they were STILL that expensive). Most people I know that have an all-in-one have had problems.

So now I'm gonna focus my search on a stand alone Ink Jet and a Stand Alone scanner. I know Epson makes a solid product. I have always had HP stuff in the past so I know they are good. (I hear good things about Dell's new stuff but never used it yet?) and anything that I have ever had made by the company Cannon has been great so I'll look into if they even make this stuff.

I've got a Canon Pixma 600 (flat bed scanner and inkjet printer) used for 8mo. and no problems over 600 pages printed with black and cyan ink replaced (got cartridges on flea-bay for < 10 each - bought genuine Canon ink not generic)

I previously had an HP All-in-one Printer/scanner/fax/copier but I can't remember the exact model I had it 4 years with no problems; until my daughter opened it up and ripped something out of it.

OK thanks for the help everyone. I was pressed for time and had to buy something. I ended up going to Best Buy. (Yeah I know...I never shop there because they are expensive but I didn't have time. I had to get something immediately.)

I ended up with the HP All-In-One C7280
hp-photosmart-c7280.jpg

Its got wi-fi connection, paper loader, duplex printing, fax... So far it's pretty nice! We will see in time. SOmething else which I didn't expect is this add-on the software gave to Internet Explorer... I can highlight any area and copy and paste it kinda like the whole page was MS Paint.

Thanks for the help.
-Tommy

Back