• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6400X2 or other AM2 for best OC?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Darur

Hey folks!

I love my computer in my sig, but right now my processor is holding me back. I have a 4600 from the F2 generation, and right now I'm having a hard time breaking 2.75GHz at 1.55V.

Right now the most expensive AM2 processors are still cheaper then this processor was when I bought it (I both hate and love how that happens :p), and I don't mind spending $200 to get something really nice, because I don't think prices will drop much more then where they are now. I don't really want to go to Phenom yet, I'm told they cant push 2.4GHz and I don't want to be where I was last time I bought a processor with it selling for less then half what I paid a year after.

I've seen a few people hit 3.5Ghz on a 6400X2, and I'm tempted to go for it, but is there another processor which is doing better? I think I read 5800s are doing really well, but are they better then that?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

The 6400+ should hit 3.5ghz sure but for ALOT less cash you could pick up a 5000+BE or 5200+ and OC it to 3.2ghz-3.4ghz which is a much more impressive overclock :)

In my opinion the 6400+ should only be bought by people that will not be overclocking.

but you are still lacking the 512mb cache.... and at a slower clock...

The 5000 BE looks very nice, but above all I'm looking for a processor which will give me the best performance period. I realize I misstated what I was looking for in the title, I'll settle for a processor with less headroom if it will give me the best clock speed possible. I'm also hesitant to pick up a 5000 BE because, as mentioned above, its lacking the 2x 1MB L2. I don't mind spending extra to get all the performance I can muster.

Right now it looks like the 6400 would offer me just that, but if there is another processor which has clocked higher or had better real world performance, I would definitely be interested.

I have a 6400+, and I have gotten an 'alright' overclock out of it. I've seem to be one of the unlucky ones who recieved a bad waffer probably getting an overclocked 6000+ packaged as a 6400+.. but anyways.. Even on stock this is a blazing processor, and is definatly not a bad route to go. I get 25s on Super PI, I boot and shut down from Vista in seconds, but I'd just hold on and wait for the other Phenoms to be released.

Oh trust me, Nettie, It definitely would be more exciting to get 3x the overclock despite lower speeds, but at the moment I'm starting to eye the 8800 Ultra, and I really cant justify that with a 4600X2 at only 2.75GHz :p

Chruch of Virus, if I get a good indication that much faster and more OCable Phenoms are around the corner, I will definitely wait for them. I can only hope AMD will keep them reasonably priced at release :D

Thanks for all the input folks, I think I'm going to sit tight for a bit and unless it looks like a better option will be here soon, I'll go with the 6400.

Back