• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bad Ram?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FatalPhatboy

Registered
hey i posted yesterday about the Memory Dump...today i went to turn on my pc and it wont load up all i get is a flashing line like it wants me to type something but i cant so i put ram in different slots and same thing does this mean my ram went bad? thanks

how do i do that if i can get the computer to load up? And will this test tell me if the ram is bad or is there any codes that i have to read and translate?

Last edited:
Download and burn it to the cd disk or flopppy. Boot from the cd or floppy and run program. Program doesn't require OS present for it to run. Run it without any OC.

http://www.memtest.org/

Make sure your memory is running on rated voltage.

hey i posted yesterday about the Memory Dump...today i went to turn on my pc and it wont load up all i get is a flashing line like it wants me to type something but i cant so i put ram in different slots and same thing does this mean my ram went bad? thanks
Does the computer POST? Do you see text or a "splash screen" before the blinking cursor? Do you hear a quick "beep" shortly after you turn the computer on?

ok just ran memtest and it passed no errors and when i got done all of a sudden my pc booted up......MBR means motherboad right so do i need to rma my board? and yes it posts just no beep i can go into my bios and everything

did it again today so if my ram passed memtest then does that mean its my motherboard..it will post and i can go into bios it just wont load up and after awhile my pc will work.

ok just ran memtest and it passed no errors and when i got done all of a sudden my pc booted up......MBR means motherboad right so do i need to rma my board? and yes it posts just no beep i can go into my bios and everything
MBR is Master Boot Record. It is the first thing that the motherboard reads on the hard drive to start booting.

It is not a motherboard problem if you are getting a MBR error. MBR could be faulty hard drive or something as simple as an operating system problem. Try reinstalling windows ;)

Back