• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New here, bit of a problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vazz

Hello, my names Davis and a friend of mine recommended me to come here.
I just built a new computer and went to install Vista but it was taking so long to load, that we figured it had frozen. Upon rebooting he noticed something odd.

"Main Processer : Intel (R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU 581MHz(83x7.0) , 2 CPU(s)"
In BIOS he set the speed to stock (2.33Ghz) but it still boot up at 581MHz. Thinking this could just be a boot up messed up, we went to install XP. It was working...but at an extremely slow pace.

We rebooted then he went to overclock it to see if he could fix it. He then boosted the speed to 2.8Ghz (400x7)
Memory: 4-4-4-12 DDR2 800 CPU:MEM 1:2

It improved the "Main Processer" thing to 700MHz (100x7). Still well under stock speeds.

And that's where I'm at at the moment, posting from another PC looking for help.

Specs

CPU: Intel E6550 2.33 (333x7)
Ram: 4 gigs (4x1gb) Patriot DDR2 800, 4-4-4-12 2.2v(Extreme Performance)
MotherBoard: EVGA nForce 680i SE SLI
PSU: PC Power and Cooling 610w Silencer
Vid: 2 EVGA 8800 GT KO in SLi
DVD: NEC DVD RW and a Sony DVD RW
HDD: WD caviar 250GB
Anything else I need to mention? Trying to install Vista

Hope I got it all. Thanks for your help!

resteting fsb to 1333 reset the "main Processor" on the boot screen back to 581 mhz (83x7)

If you haven't already (or if you have, try it again), clear CMOS like so:

Remove power from the system.
Hit the power button to discharge the capacitors.
Move the CCMOS jumper to the clear position.
Wait ~30 seconds.
Place the jumper back in the normal position.
Restore power and boot up immediately into BIOS.
Select "Load Optimized Defaults" (or the EVGA BIOS equivalent to that)
Save & exit.

See if that gets it to where it should be.

reseting cmos did not work. EVGA's website does not list my motherboard, according to the boot screen my bios is version 6.00pg. how would i go about finding out which bios i need and to install without a floppy.

updating the bios worked. thanks for the help

sorry for the double post.

Back