• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

E2140 Dual-Core Processor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pyro757

Alright I have never overclocked before and I am looking to overclock my E2140 Dual-Core processor... sooo can anyone tell me how I should go about doing this... please help... also when I overclock my CPU already had a ran and heatsink on it so would I need to add any extras... and how can I find out my mother board brand and type if it was'nt included in any of the manuals I recieved when I bought this Computer... any help is full appreciated thanks...

Alright I have never overclocked before and I am looking to overclock my E2140 Dual-Core processor... sooo can anyone tell me how I should go about doing this... please help... also when I overclock my CPU already had a ran and heatsink on it so would I need to add any extras... and how can I find out my mother board brand and type if it was'nt included in any of the manuals I recieved when I bought this Computer... any help is full appreciated thanks...

Is it a name brand computer (aka Dell, HP, Toshiba, etc)? If so...you might have a tough time overclocking it.

If it is a custom built PC open it up and read some of the stuff on the mobo. That'll be the easiest way to figure it out.

Before you do anything, download the newest coretemp (http://www.majorgeeks.com/Core_Temp_d5665.html) and Orthos (http://sp2004.fre3.com/download.htm).

We need Coretemp to check temperatures and Orthos to test stability when overclocking.

EDIT: D'oh. I'm a moron. Download CPU-Z (http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php). It has a tab (mainboard I believe) that'll tell you what motherboard you have.

Ok well my motherboard is a Lancaster 8 by ASUS so is this overclockable... Compaq Presario

EDIT::: and both cores are running about 32 degrees celcius.... soooo what should I do

Shoot. I am really off of my game tonight.

Do you know how to get into the BIOS? Even if the board isn't overclockable you will be able to get into the BIOS.

Once you are in there, take a look around. If you have settings for FSB (look for 266mhz as a setting), multi, cpu vcore, northbridge (also called MCH) volts, etc, etc. You also want to see if you can set pci frequency, pci-express frequency, and also look for RAM settings while you are in there. You should find RAM dividers, voltage, and latency settings if your board can overclock.

ok the BIOS if I am not mistaken is the thing that I can get into when my computer is booting by pressing a function key or some other key such as the delete key... and yea I have seen all the options once I get there what do I do then???

ok the BIOS if I am not mistaken is the thing that I can get into when my computer is booting by pressing a function key or some other key such as the delete key... and yea I have seen all the options once I get there what do I do then???

That is correct. That would be the BIOS. The primary function of the BIOS for non-overclockers is changing boot drive priority.

Anyway, I need to know what options you have in your BIOS to instruct you further. Tell me if you can find a place to change the things I listed in my post above.

I have to eat dinner and watch a movie with the GF. If someone else can take over that'd be awesome, otherwise I'll do what I can do when I get a chance.

Hey my Email is [email protected] and if you have AIM can we talk on there tommorow... because it is 10:12 here on the East Coast and I need to get to bed... so E-mail me tommorow if you can with some instructions or PM me here on the forum... and I will be looking for those settings.... Thx so much for the info you have given me so far...

If you can find FSB, increase it by 5, run orthos for a bit, then do that until it starts crashing.
Once it starts crashing, go back a bit, run orthos for a few hours and if it doesnt crash, you've overclocked.

You can then mess about with other settings, but I'm not qualified to explain them

Ummm I can't find any of those settings at all... and if they were there how could I find them/change them because there were some things but they weren't changeable???

Back