Notices

Overclockers Forums > Discussions > Vendor Discussion
Vendor Discussion Likes and Gripes about Vendors. No Post Count.
Forum Jump

Amazon Card to hard to get

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 11-28-07, 09:00 AM Thread Starter   #1
Rydis

Amazon Card to hard to get

I was looking for a vid card upgrade (a 6600GT to a 7600GT) and found a new one on amazon.com for about 73.99. I figured why not get the card, -30 and get the video card for 45 dollars shipped.

Now, I got a 15k Amex and a 10k Discover. I get constant Chase applications in the mail, and my score is in the high 700's.

Now, I went to go get their "Chase" card during checkout to get the -30.00 dollars and I was declined.

Honestly, if I can have what I got, get credit card offers from the same company supplying the card, and have an above average credit score and still can't get a stupid amazon card, somethings really screwed up.

I was very dissapointed in amazon for this.

GTX 460 SE 1GB
Rydis is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-28-07, 09:56 AM   #2
CGR

10 Year Badge

If its a chase amazon card its chase that declined you not Amazon.

When was the last time you checked your credit report? May be a good idea to check all three.

HIS 4850 680/1108.................................................. .............Nvidia 7600GT
WD VRaptor 300gb/Seagate 1TB..........................................Raptor 74gb/Seagate 200gb
OCZ GameXtreme 600SLI

CGR is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-28-07, 11:32 AM Thread Starter   #3
Rydis

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGR View Post
If its a chase amazon card its chase that declined you not Amazon.

When was the last time you checked your credit report? May be a good idea to check all three.
Correct, I just found it interesting that I can get 2-3 offers from chase a week, but get declined on Amazon card. Guess I find it funny to. But regardless, I it still an amazon card ^^.

Was last quarter. I get the quarterly reports from Amex. Havn't got this quarters yet, but im sure not much as change.

GTX 460 SE 1GB
Old 11-28-07, 11:44 AM   #4
Aktunka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rydis View Post
Correct, I just found it interesting that I can get 2-3 offers from chase a week, but get declined on Amazon card. Guess I find it funny to.
The offers you get in the mail mean absolutely nothing at all. Not a darn thing. My sister gets these same offers all the time. She got them when she was on welfare for a while too. Yes, someone who was unemployed and receiving welfare at the time was getting these offers in the mail. What made it even better is that she has the worst credit ever and has collections after her from a few different places. So, card offers really don't mean anything about anything.

4GB Corsair Dominator
Silverstone ST75F 750W PS
Aktunka is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 11-28-07, 11:47 AM Thread Starter   #5
Rydis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktunka View Post
The offers you get in the mail mean absolutely nothing at all. Not a darn thing. My sister gets these same offers all the time. She got them when she was on welfare for a while too. Yes, someone who was unemployed and receiving welfare at the time was getting these offers in the mail. What made it even better is that she has the worst credit ever and has collections after her from a few different places. So, card offers really don't mean anything about anything.
Good point. Thats also why I lised the other information though. However, just found it humerous.

GTX 460 SE 1GB
Old 11-28-07, 11:48 AM   #6
SteveLord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktunka View Post
Exactly...if you didnt know this....then you might seriously want to check up on your credit report.

Old 11-28-07, 11:48 AM   #7
CGR

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Correct, I just found it interesting that I can get 2-3 offers from chase a week, but get declined on Amazon card. Guess I find it funny to. But regardless, I it still an amazon card ^^.

Was last quarter. I get the quarterly reports from Amex. Havn't got this quarters yet, but im sure not much as change.
Actually its a chase card with Amazon benefits.

Again its not Amazon's fault as they just send your info to Chase to be approved.

Anything you get in the mail is pre-approved stuff and doesnt mean much.

If you do have credit ratings in the 700+ area with all three credit agencies then you are considered to have good credit. However thats not all banks look at when giving credit.

With all the credit crunches lately most banks are cracking down and making more strict approvement policies.

Does amex send you all three reports? If not you should check the others you dont get.

HIS 4850 680/1108.................................................. .............Nvidia 7600GT
WD VRaptor 300gb/Seagate 1TB..........................................Raptor 74gb/Seagate 200gb
OCZ GameXtreme 600SLI

Old 11-28-07, 11:54 AM Thread Starter   #8
Rydis

Quote:
Actually its a chase card with Amazon benefits.

Again its not Amazon's fault as they just send your info to Chase to be approved.

Anything you get in the mail is pre-approved stuff and doesnt mean much.

If you do have credit ratings in the 700+ area with all three credit agencies then you are considered to have good credit. However thats not all banks look at when giving credit.

With all the credit crunches lately most banks are cracking down and making more strict approvement policies.

Does amex send you all three reports? If not you should check the others you dont get.
Ya, all 3. They were IIRC, 770, 752 and 767.

My only downfall is a short Credit History (3 years). However, Chase isn't even a huge major company (big but not major) as others I have. Sucks to that those denial letters dont tell you why.

GTX 460 SE 1GB
Old 11-28-07, 11:58 AM   #9
CGR

10 Year Badge

I think by law they have to tell you why you were declined. Might be a state to state law though.

OCZ GameXtreme 600SLI

Old 11-28-07, 12:02 PM Thread Starter   #10
Rydis

I remeber my first card I ever applied for was declined by Wamu, and it wasn't stated. Guess ill find out in 30 days if thats changed.

GTX 460 SE 1GB
Old 11-28-07, 04:14 PM   #11
ManOfKnight

10 Year Badge

It is the law that you are able to view your credit report for reasons why you were declined. You will most likely receive it within a week or two.

Also, receiving letters stating you are pre-approved doesn't necessarily mean they will accept you. I know that sounds weird, but it is the truth. The credit cards you are "pre-approved" for may actually be credit cards that have interest rates so high even the Richy Rich could never pay down. I myself have a great credit rating and have low debt to income ratio but cannot get a loan through my local (extremely small) bank to save my life, while others with poor credit can.

I wouldn't fret it...30 bucks taken off and another credit card added to your credit file is almost not worth it.

Project Fileserver: Phenom 9850 | Biostar 790GX | 2048MB GSkill | (4) 1.5TB Green WD
Computers are running 24/7 World Community Grid and Folding@Home for
My Mother, My Sister, Julie Stutzman, Gary Janssen, and Shelly Laborde
My Heatware 30-0

Last edited by ManOfKnight; 11-28-07 at 04:32 PM.
ManOfKnight is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-04-07, 09:49 AM Thread Starter   #12
Rydis

Well, got the letter same day as the card.

Said I had to much unused credit.
insufficient credit history (I am only 21)
and outstanding credit owed on closed accounts.

Last one is rather odd, since the only closed account I have is a savings account which I closed out to put in a CD. I will hvae to check on that, because thats fishy to me.

GTX 460 SE 1GB
Old 12-04-07, 10:16 AM   #13
realtadiquantu

10 Year Badge

I ordered some items of Amazon recently and applied for that card and I was instantly approved. (My scores in the high 700s and I have a 25k Amex and 2k Capitalone).
However, when I went to try again for the business card, they rejected me =)
realtadiquantu is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-04-07, 12:46 PM   #14
CGR

10 Year Badge

Quote:

Last one is rather odd, since the only closed account I have is a savings account which I closed out to put in a CD. I will hvae to check on that, because thats fishy to me.
Too much unused credit? Never heard that one before. I guess they feel you will be a couch potato and not use the card enough for them to make money.

I have five credit cards atm four of them have no balances. Those banks probably dont like it cause I never use them.

OCZ GameXtreme 600SLI

Old 12-04-07, 02:24 PM Thread Starter   #15
Rydis

Quote:
Too much unused credit? Never heard that one before. I guess they feel you will be a couch potato and not use the card enough for them to make money.

I have five credit cards atm four of them have no balances. Those banks probably dont like it cause I never use them.
Ya, they fear that if you have to much unused credit, then you will end up maxing out all the cards and not paying any of it back.

GTX 460 SE 1GB
Old 12-04-07, 02:59 PM   #16
Jon
Just Another Retired Moderator

10 Year Badge

My wife and I have had 3 (still have 2) of those cards. I love the Amazon gift certificates Money back the more you spend.

/commercial

Old 12-04-07, 03:50 PM   #17
CGR

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Ya, they fear that if you have to much unused credit, then you will end up maxing out all the cards and not paying any of it back.
I dont think thats what they are afraid of. I think they see that a person who has lots of unused credit isnt using his credit cards all that much so the banks make less money.

OCZ GameXtreme 600SLI

Old 12-04-07, 05:57 PM   #18
RJARRRPCGP

10 Year Badge

If you're being denied because of being a being a first time user, then how can you even get one then!

That's like saying that you're denied driver's ed. because you don't have a license!

Where I come from "Z97" is a radio station
-ICH10R
- eVGA GeForce GT 640-Antec VP-450

" holy cow!! you find a rat in there too!?!?!? " -turbohans
"Reinstall winders." -jivetrky
"I think I am going to need another coke before I start this up." -cadman420
"Soon Windows will be 50 gb! lololol" -Tokae
"NOT FOR SALE IN CALIFORNIA."
RJARRRPCGP is online now   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-04-07, 06:31 PM Thread Starter   #19
Rydis

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
If you're being denied because of being a being a first time user, then how can you even get one then!

That's like saying that you're denied driver's ed. because you don't have a license!
Been im america long?

GTX 460 SE 1GB
Old 12-05-07, 10:40 AM   #20
djrussell

Quote:

banks like to see you use a certain amount of your available credit every month. i think it's something like 20-30%.

even if you pay it off every month and don't acrue any interest, the bank still gets paid. say you buy a $100 item at amazon with your amex card. you pay amex the $100 but they pay amazon maybe $97. when i worked at sears, we were urged to get customers to use cash or sears cards cause we got the most money from the sales.

seagate 'cudas 80gb + 500gb
rosewill stallion 500w
raidmax sagitta case
powercolor HD3870 PCS
djrussell is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Discussions > Vendor Discussion
Vendor Discussion Likes and Gripes about Vendors. No Post Count.