• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

K8V SE Deluxe memory issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SickBoy

Inactive Moderator
OK. Haven't been around in a while but I'll give this a shot an appreciate any help. I'm way out of the loop.

I have a K8V SE Deluxe MB w/ the Newcastle A64 3200+ chip I got from the AMD promotion way back when. Has been humming along swimmingly since day 1 with 2x 512mb Corsair Value RAM PC3200 memory. On Monday I swapped those out for 2x brand new Corsair 1GB PC3200 along with 1x Corsair 1GB PC3200 (all Value RAM). Linux won't boot, and Windows (XP Pro) is pretty unstable. So I pull the old used stick out of DIMM1, leaving the new stuff in DIMM2 and DIMM3 and ba-da-bing, Linux likes me all of a sudden. I notice in the manual that it says something about memory configurations - if you insert 3 double sided DIMMs, the fastest memory speed you can run at is DDR200. Ack. That would jive with what memtest86 was telling me, though - that my RAM was running at DDR200 speed. So the chart says that the only way I can get away with running DDR400/PC3200 speeds is if I stick the 2 double sided DIMMs in slots 1 and 3.

This Sucks. I have 3GB of memory here sitting in front of me that I (apparently) cannot use.

Has anyone else hit this issue? I'm assuming these 1 GB memory sticks are double-sided - is that true? If it's not, why won't Linux boot for me? (or, better yet, why won't it boot at all with 3 GB of memory installed and Windows will?)

Hmmm, could be a bios problem? Have you tried updating the bios? You're installing new ram in an older board. Maybe updating the bios will solve the issue.

Also bear in mind even tho all the ram is "value ram" the IC's are programmed differently with different settings.

Well, I talked to another bud who has this MB and he says it's just plain finicky with RAM no matter what BIOS you use.

I managed to get my 2x 1 GB installed and running at full (DDR400) speed... I'm going to check on the BIOS when I get home. The latest BIOS update from Asus is dated sometime in 2005 so I'm not real confident anything will change. I figure 2x1GB @ DDR400 is better than 3x1GB @ DDR200 with no stability.

Sucks! Guess I'll be hitting the market for a new MB/CPU/RAM/Video sometime very soon if I can't get what I want out of this system.

Back