• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

safe voltage for "value" ram

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EBH

hello

what's the max safe voltage for value, no heatsink, no fan (some case airflow but don't know how much actualy goes over the mem sticks) for some plain value ram (the one in my sig).

the chips SHOULD be nanya (they work 4-4-4-12 @ 800MHz with 1.8V)

Max I'd be comfortable with is 2.2v with some direct airflow over them. Why not put an 80mm fan over them?

I want something for daily use, not benchmarking. So without fan...

I was using 2.1-2.2V on my Geil Ultra sticks and they got really hot. They had heatsinks.

I'm not sure on nanya chips what a safe voltage is, but I'd try to stay under 2.1v if no fan is being used myself, and with the heatspreaders they're gonna run hotter than bare chips, they really only are for looks and trap more heat imo

I'm not sure on nanya chips what a safe voltage is, but I'd try to stay under 2.1v if no fan is being used myself, and with the heatspreaders they're gonna run hotter than bare chips, they really only are for looks and trap more heat imo

I cuncur! :thup:

Not to mention that the fatter sticks with the heat spreaders will restrict air flow through them even more. I'm thinking of taking the heat spreaders off when I install all 4 sticks with an active fan kit blowing over them. At $25 per gig stick it's not like I'm risking much if they break.

nice... so I can go ahead with 2.1V then... I'm using 2V at the moment.

I kind of noticed that at the same voltage the old geil seamed hotter than these new ones.

Thanks alot for all your replies!

I've noticed the same thing-- If you look at brand new memory modules out of the box with heatspreaders installed you'll notice 9 times out of 10 that the heatspreader does not make direct contact with all the chips, rather just the ones near where the clip is attached. Plus I cannot imagine the adhesive they use to be a decent heat conductor.

Instead of calling them heat spreaders they need to call them heat insulators.

Back