• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Vista from XP - Worth it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mandy

Disabled
Hi guys,

I'm debating if I should get Vista or not, I currently have Windows XP home, it's 32bit (I think). I don't have a DX10 card, nor do I have any plans to get one soon, other than having DX10, is there anything else that it would be worth getting for.

Granted it looks amazing! but is it worth the up(down)grade?

You will get mixed opinions across the board. The best unbiased description I can possibly give is this:

If you can get it for cheap, ie <$100 for premium retail+, go for it. I like the OS a lot but at it's current price I have to say that it's not worth as much as it's selling for.

I'd also like to know if the different versions offer any further sophistication to system resources and speed in general apart network heavy PCs(as in server/workstation). How 64bit OS affects stuff etc.

All Vista have improved usage of the system resources (that's why it uses more ram!). 64bit allows more numbers to be used, more acuracy in some programs if they're 64bit, 64bit also just seems a lot smoother.

For the OP, if you don't have a reason to --> NO. I did a new build for Vista (DX10) and I enjoy it, but I've been recommending, as a rule of thumb, to not go to Vista if you're not making hardware changes. Vista eats much more memory at idle and in my mind, don't fix what is not broken. Most current programs are very well done for XP, not much in the way of free third party for Vista, but most major software has converted.

It looks amazing at first, but I've ended up tuning down the amazing to reduce dedicated memory.

I also recommend if you can get it for cheap, get it, don't install and hold on to it until you're at least thinking about doing hardware changes. I have some friends who are doing this and waiting till after the new year to upgrade their rigs.

Yeah, I also agree with the do not fix what is not broken statement. Just wait until software starts to require Vista in order for it to be used. Heck, even win2K is still in use today.

Back