• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any have the HP W2207 22"? I'm about to buy! need comments!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

technoViking

Hey guys after googling awhile I've found this monitor and a lot of people said its better than the samsung 266CW and BW and its still only $300 bucks!

What do you guys think?
This monitor is mainly going to be for gaming and of course programming so I like a lot of room on my desktop while programming.

c00908020.jpg

The HP Pavilion w2207 LCD wide-screen flat panel monitor has the following features:

* BriteView Technology enhances clarity and provides brilliant colors
* 1680 x 1050 factory-set resolution
* Video inputs supported:
o VGA analog signal
o DVI-D digital signal
* USB port (on rear of panel). Ability to connect up to two USB devices, such as a USB flash drive or a digital camcorder, to monitor.
* Supports High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP) to prevent transmission of non-encrypted high definition content
* Plug and Play capability, if supported by your computer system
* On-screen display (OSD) adjustments for ease of setup and screen optimization
* Energy Star compliant

Technical specifications
----------------------------
Display size 22-inch (55.9 cm) diagonal and viewable image
Display type Thin-Film Transistor LCD active matrix

BriteView technology
Input terminal VGA 15-pin D-type connector

DVI-D connector
Scanning frequency Horizontal scan range 24-82 KHz

Vertical scan range 48-76 Hz
Recommended resolution (H x V) 1680 x 1050 @ 60 Hz
Contrast ratio up to 1000:1
Response time 5 ms (on-off)
Pixel pitch 0.252 mm
Power source - AC/DC adapter Input rating: 100 to 240V~

Power consumption: <65 W in operating mode, <2 W in sleep mode
Operating environment Temperature: 41 degrees F to 95 degrees F (5 degrees C to 35 degrees C )

Humidity: 20% RH through 80% RH (non-condensing)
Storage environment Temperature: -4 degrees F to 140 degrees F (-20 degrees C to 60 degrees C)

Humidity: 5% RH through 95% RH (non-condensing)
Dimensions H x W x D, including base:

18.9 x 20.5 x 11.3 inches (48.1 x 52.3 x 28.9 cm)
Weight Unpacked: 19.8 lbs (9 Kg)
EMI standard FCC Class B
Mounting Standard VESA 4-hole 100 mm x 100 mm
EPA Energy Star As an Energy Star Partner, Hewlett-Packard has determined that this product meets the Energy Star guidelines for energy efficiency.

One thing that worried me is the constrast ratio, it says UP TO 1000:1, but it doens't say if this is dynamic or static, if it was really good it should be
1000:1 static and 3000:1 dyanmic right?

Anyone know if this is 1000:1 static / 3000:1 dynamic?

Thanks guys!
:santa:

best 22 on the market when I bought it. I thought it killed the samsungs of the same size.

the gloss is badass and its not hard to keep clean like people say.

I love this monitor and have been totally happy with it.

Rattle thanks for the responce!
I have a question though, what Rez do you use on it?

I just read 1 bad review they said they where using Windows XP and couldn't get it past 1280x1024?!

Are you having those issues setting the rez to its max and are you using windows xp?

Thanks!

Here's the 1 bad review,
I bought mine yesterday and spent several HOURS trying to get it "right" last night.

The editors at CNET harped briefly about the "HP MyDisplay" software, but they didn't harp quite enough. Maybe it's better if you're running Vista, but you know what? Most people aren't running Vista. I use XP and the software was so troublesome that I uninstalled it and downloaded the latest one from the website. That wouldn't work either, so I eventually uninstalled it gave up on the software completely.

One of the more aggrivating bugs involves the fact that the software WILL NOT set the monitor's resolution to its maximum settings despite having a beautifully-rendered little button on the screen to do so. Click that pretty little button all you want. Your resolution won't change. If I can't take advantage of the resolution, then what's the point?

And after you run through the software once and try to use it again later, nothing works at all!!!! You can move that little contrast slider all you want. Your contrast won't change.

Okay, so the software sucks. I'll just use the manual buttons to operate the OSD, right? Nope. Apparently the OSD conflicts with the software and the OSD menu disappears almost immediately after you access it (less than one second). After I uninstalled the software for good, the OSD worked fine. (sigh)

So I eventually used my Gretag Macbeth Eye-1 monitor calibrator (which I love) to get the colors right. But wait... what's this? When the screen is viewed straight-on (not at an angle), the top of the screen is darker than the bottom. In other words, it fades gradually from top to bottom. This will not be a big deal to most users and can be ignored if you just want a big pretty monitor. But for those of us who do serious photographic editing on our computers (e.g. for money), this fault is absolutely NOT acceptable. Not by a long shot.

Because of the inability to utilize the maximum resolution settings, I have to use the 1280x1024 option available in Windows. The 1600x1200 setting is outiside the monitor's cabaility and results in a remarkably annoying error message that stays in the center of your screen indefinitely until you change the resolution settings back.

So with the 1280x1024 resolution, if you choose to fill the screen, everything gets stretched. Circles look like ovals. Squares looks like rectagles. This may not be a big deal unless, again, you just happen to derive income from editing photographs. Not cool. Not cool at all. If that darn "preferred resolution" button would work...

So to prevent the distortion, you can use the OSD to squeeze the aspect ratio back to "normal", but then why bother having the wide monitor?

(sigh) I'll return mine tomorrow for a refund. I hope all this ranting proves useful for some of you.

that person is obviously retarded or his monitor or gfx card is busted.

native res is 1680x1050 and I use that only. there's a couple other res that look good but this monitor looks best at its native.

also dont use the software, all monitor software is BS and not needed.

hah Wow I jsut read some reviews under that one and they basically said the same thing.

he/she didn't know how to set the rez using properties/settings lulz.

Thanks man I'm going to order it asap :)

take this into consideration also, the monitor is usually more expensive then other 22's
I got it for 290 on a sale at CC and I also downloaded a $40 off coupon online lol.
I dunno if I would pay more than 350 for a 22inch monitor. I would probably go up to 24 then.

not a good one, but yeah $330 isnt bad, I just got lucky with the $40 coupon.
i think this monitor kills the samsung 226 I saw side by side.

amazon has the monitor for 310 shipped...i have been eyeballing it myself so i can make my sammy 226bw my secondary

It's a good 22" and your only choice if you know you like Glossy screen finishes. Don't take some site's comments about glossy finishes to heart it's really a personal preference. If you really want to test monitors try them out from Bestbuy or someplace else that has a liberal return policy and find out what works for you.

have you seen the monitor in person compared to the dell 22 and samsung 226bw?

maybe the dell 20. the S-IPS panel thats about it unless you want a 24 dell S-PVA those are the only 2 monitors i would take over the HP w2207

I saw the samsung up against the hp, I totally thought the HP looked way better, colors more vivid and everything looked more crisp.
I made a good choice I think with the help of Rattle of course! :D

Also the new Dell 22" they have around the same price range is 2000:1 dynamic contrast, HP's is 3000:1, I couldn't even find their static ratio, but HP is 1000:1.

Last edited:
I bought my w2207 back in June. I haven't looked back. At all. The glossy finish really does it for me, but the colors are good, the response time is good, and the amount of real estate can't be beat (of course that comes with all 22s and 24s). I haven't had a single problem with this monitor... I use it for PC gaming and PS3 gaming, movie watching, and everything in between.

I will say that I got it for a considerably cheaper price... on sale, plus a CC coupon for 280ish... but 310-330 would still be worth it in my opinion.

I saw the samsung up against the hp, I totally thought the HP looked way better, colors more vivid and everything looked more crisp.
I made a good choice I think with the help of Rattle of course! :D

Also the new Dell 22" they have around the same price range is 2000:1 dynamic contrast, HP's is 3000:1, I couldn't even find their static ratio, but HP is 1000:1.

I'm sure you'll like whatever you get but just for anyone else or yourself in the future - looking at monitors in a store means almost nothing. Bad lighting, bad sources, and poorly set up could all mean the picture is not really representative. The only way to really know how good a monitor is is to try it out in the environment it's intended to be used in and some time to mess around with the settings. Then again having said that the LCDs I ended up keeping were ones I bought sight unseen from Newegg who has a bad LCD return policy :p but that was after trying out a few different types.

I agree with you MadMan,

I researched this monitor a lot before even making the effort to go to a store and look at it in person and all those factors do come into play, it just put the icing on the cake for me but like you said, its going to look different once I bring it to my environment.

I thank you for this thread technoViking, I went to CC to check this monitor out and it is most definitely better than the other 22"ers that I was looking at. I'll be picking this one up in the coming weeks.

Sure thing, Rattle is what got me looking towards the HP, i was going to get a samsung but glad I didn't!

I can't wait to get this in the mail!

Back