• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

(urgent help needed) Two different sets of same Crucial RAM? Do they differ at all?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HedgeHocker

Registered
(urgent help needed) Two different sets of same Crucial RAM? Do they differ at all?

Hi,

Hopefully someone who knows thier RAM can help me.

I bought two 2Gb sets (1Gbx2 dual set) of Crucial Ballistix PC2-6400 CL4 memory. When I got them in the mail the sets looked different - the heatspreader design was different on each set. One set has a traditional ..design with a clip on top of the stick holding the spreaders on each side. Normal looking design. The other set has no clip on the top but has the spreaders affixed with just thermal tape apparently.

I'm sending a set back to the store because they look different And because I descided I don't need 4Gb on this particular computer.

My question/s are:

Is one set possibly better than the other? They are the same speed - exactly and marketed as the same obviously. I'd certainly prefer to send back the one with a weaker performing silicon if they differ at all besides the heatsink. One must be older than the other.

1) Set without the retention clips on top.
CRUCIAL Ballistix
PC2-6400 CL4 EPP
128x64 DDR2
CL11189.2W
BL12864AA804.16FD5

2) Set with the retention clips on top of the spreaders.
CRUCIAL Ballistix
PC2-6400 CL4 EPP
128x64 DDR2
CL11185.Z4
BL12864AA804.16FD3

Now I KNOW those of you who help others in the forums on this site and others see alot of post that just say "Help! Problems!" and it's all really aggrivating and demanding sometimes - I know ..but I have to send back one of these sets postmarked before this coming Saturday or I lose my money ..so please don't hesitate to post anything You think may help me descide on which set to keep, your thoughts. Timely responses count for this one.

Very, very appreciated.

Last edited:
I think the clips were on the older sets. In my experience I have had bad luck getting 2 pairs to run in 4 slots at rated timings when the batches were far apart. Your best bet is to buy all 4 sticks together, and hope they all came from the same or close to the same batch. Of course, that may be complete BS...but in the past I had problems running the same sticks bout a year apart without relaxing the timings.

Yep, about the only thing I found on these on the web so far is that the one with the clips is older and more likely Micron B9 (B9 right?) - one of the best overclocking... problem with that set is that the damn spreaders arent making good contact with the RAM chips and even after pressing them firmly together and heating them up and cooling ..they lose full contact again.

Set with probably better chips has a bad heatsink.

Set with good heatsink may be a lesser chipset.

I'm not at all sure what the retailer will say about my reasons for sending these both back... and charge me a restock fee even though I wanted at least the same batch with two sets. Mushkin is U.S.A. made, I'm in the U.S. and I live patriotic with my cash so when I can I buy American and I'll probably just send the Crucial back and go Mushkin.

But I may keep set #2 if I can get those RAM sinks to stick ..leaving those under light but even pressure overnight and see.

An unlucky purchase but it's good RAM. Tested fast in 4Gb setup but OC wasn't very good.

IMO you are better served keeping the newer set without the clip. They seem to OC like MAD from reports (and mine seem to do stick at 1.8v) and if you decide to ever add more you'll have a better chance of getting a set that will play nice. If you keep the older set you will likely not be able to easily find a mate for them when you want to add a couple of sticks.

IMO you are better served keeping the newer set without the clip. They seem to OC like MAD from reports (and mine seem to do stick at 1.8v) and if you decide to ever add more you'll have a better chance of getting a set that will play nice. If you keep the older set you will likely not be able to easily find a mate for them when you want to add a couple of sticks.

well if he takes the newer batch he might get what im thinking is the bad batch. since there are reports of not just balli but different brands with the "high speed" ics dieing at stock and overclocked...

OP its up to you i suggest the older one cause even oced they havent died like the newer batches. we are seeing more cause ram prices are low so people are buying more to use. still even with the increase in buying of the micron ic's that still doesnt mean that there couldnt have been or still some bad batches out in retail. that though is why they offer warrenties...

I sent them both back and bought two sets of A-DATA for stability. Crucial seems fine but not this time around. I have a personal preference to Mushkin because its a USA company and (very well) made here as far as I know but 28.00 for a set of the A-DATA Extreeme from newegg I couldn't turn down. That's 1/2 the cost of just one set of these Crucial AFTER the rebate ...and they offer at least 85% of the performance. I just had some misfortune with Crucial this time but they may never have another chance... ha

Back