• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My future build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

slowrunner

Registered
I'm finally going to upgrade to an Intel dual core soon, and am looking at getting a bare-bones deal consisting of;

E2140 cpu
AsRock dualcore-vsta motherboard
Silver midi tower with 450w psu.
(All for just 130 pounds sterling!)

Now I know the 2140 is going to do me proud, and the psu should last, but what do you think to the mobo? It's a fairly basic pt880 jobbie (AGP8x and DDR alongside PCI-E16x and DDR2-667), but it gives me time to spread the cost of upgrading my graphics and drives.

I know I should probably just buy a p5k instead, but I'd have to buy sata drives and a PCI-E graphics card along with DDR2 at the same time, which I cant afford.

Opinions welcome.

I'm finally going to upgrade to an Intel dual core soon, and am looking at getting a bare-bones deal consisting of;

E2140 cpu
AsRock dualcore-vsta motherboard
Silver midi tower with 450w psu.
(All for just 130 pounds sterling!)

Now I know the 2140 is going to do me proud, and the psu should last, but what do you think to the mobo? It's a fairly basic pt880 jobbie (AGP8x and DDR alongside PCI-E16x and DDR2-667), but it gives me time to spread the cost of upgrading my graphics and drives.

I know I should probably just buy a p5k instead, but I'd have to buy sata drives and a PCI-E graphics card along with DDR2 at the same time, which I cant afford.

Opinions welcome.

To be honest, I would save up money until you can afford sata harddrives and pci-e video cards etc. From my perspective, it's like you are spending money on technology that is outdated and can't go anywhere.

To be honest it's only going to be used as a surfer, I don't play any real games or anything, just the odd web based game and a little photoshop work now and again.

I just want something a bit quicker than what I currently have.

well then it should work well...DDR2 is dirt cheap now, you can find 2gb for 30 US or cheaper. Sticking with 512 won't help you at all, that's what's probably bottlenecking you now!

that's interesting, i didn't know there were any agp/pcie boards. that would make a good test rig if nothing else.

the only thing i'd be concerned about is the ddr ram. it's really expensive.

DDR2 will be getting reached for, provided I can get rid of a few things first.

If I find I can stretch to a p5k, I'll just buy it all seperate and use my current case and a new psu.

Trouble is it'll all be e-bay bought as the UK component sites have daft ideas when it comes to prices.

Back