• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mini file server and torrent setups - which is better?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

>HyperlogiK<

The two options which I am consiering are:

A WRT54GS running OpenWrt as a router and an NSLU2 running Linux as a mini file server and torrent box.

Alternatively, an WRTSL54GS running OpenWrt with bit torrent.

The single device would be a neater and cheaper setup but would it work as well and, most importantly, would bit torrent eat up all of the memory and processing power of the WRTSL54GS and kill it's routing performance?

Wouldn't you need some sort of external storage for the bittorrent downloads anyways?

you're not going to get great performance. I have the WL-500g from asus that runs bit torrent. The torrent client fails miserably because of the limited cpu and memory.

Just grab an old P3 off of craigslist, throw xubuntu on it with either a large fat32/ntfs partition or a secondary hard drive, and run utorrent via wine. That's basically how I have my ftp/mt-daap-server/torrent box setup anyways. It's not super-powerful, but it has more flexibility than an xbox and it consumes less power than the P4 machine it replaced.

Back