• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5B Northbridge Cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Freddie

Hi. I am thinking of upgrading my Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 to a Thermalright Ultra 120. However, I have read some reviews of this heat sink and am told that it does not go very far in cooling down the northbridge.

Therefore I am interested in knowing if I need to attach the extra fan provided by ASUS, and if it helped their overclock. Problem is that I tried the fan today and found it even with the Q-fan options set it quiet to be quite noisy. (I also think I may have snapped one of the clips and bent the heat sink when removing it).

Regards, Freddie.

neither heatsinks cool the nb cause of the tower config. you would want a hs like the si-128 to blow air over the socket and to the nb. adding a small fan to the nb is going to help with ocing but only so much.

Do you have the p5b deluxe? if so, remove that shroud thingie which says Asus because that thing is holds alot of heat.
looks like this:
bord001cv8lv9.jpg

Do you have the p5b deluxe? if so, remove that shroud thingie which says Asus because that thing is holds alot of heat.
looks like this:
bord001cv8lv9.jpg
Any advice on how to remove it? And has anyone else who has done this noticed a reduction in temperatures.

Regards, Freddie.

Any advice on how to remove it? And has anyone else who has done this noticed a reduction in temperatures.

Regards, Freddie.
Well, I can't tell you how to remove it (looks like it just pops off), but I can tell you that with it installed, it will greatly hinder its ability to remove heat. Drop a fan over it and your cooling will increase immensely ;)

I removed those stupid copper looking covers from ALL of my P5 mobos (2x P5W DH deluxe and 1x P5B Deluxe).

I followed this guide.

Another link to a similar (better?) guide.

I also got myself a Thermaltake Cyclo RAM cooler and cut the fans out of it and krazy glued the fans to the heatsinks on both the NB and SB of these boards. This takes a bit of electric soldering since you will have to cut the wires on the fans.

Here are a few pics of my rig. Low Bandwidth ye be warned! If you scroll down you can see the fans spinning on the NB and SB.

Last edited:
I removed those stupid copper looking covers from ALL of my P5 mobos (2x P5W DH deluxe and 1x P5B Deluxe).

I followed this guide.

That's funny. That guide made me realize that the NB HS on my regular P5B and the Deluxe are the same, except for the fact that it has a heat pipe and is covered in "copper" paint.

Back