• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The quest for a QX9650 - rdrash & MIAHALLEN in Akihabara *56K warning*

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MIAHALLEN

rdrash and I wend to Akihabara this past Saturday on a very specific mission. To replace his aging Abit I38X QuadGT, QX6700, and Corsair DDR2-1066. This pathetic old gear was only good for about 3.9GHz on air, and with the promise of higher clock from Intel's new 45nm proccess, and credit card in hand, and Asahi down the hatch, we headed out....QX9650 or BUST! :beer:

After arriving in Akihabara (and grabbing a couple more beers), we stopped at a few of the usual suspects to get a feel for the days pricing. Looked like the QX9650 was pretty competative, as everyone was within about $10 of each other. So we found our way to one of our favorite small shops "Zoa" and I went straight to the counter to inquire their price...no big surprise, it was about the same. "Sale?" I asked with a gleam in my eye, "cho-to-ma-te" came the response ("wait a second"), so we waited. After vigorously working his keyboard, he picked up a digital calculator, typed in some numbers and turned it to show me the display - 12,490 yen, about $45 off the asking price...hey, $45 is $45 :cool: - "SOLD!" rdrash didn't waste any time taking advantage of the best price in town.

IMG_2688.jpg

rdrash, always the thrifty spender...looking for coupons for his next purchase ;) :clap: :D

IMG_2691.jpg

Next stop on the list was a DFI mobo, the TR2 as you may have already guessed...alsa, 2 more hours passes, and we didn't see one anywhere (very few stores carry DFI at all). The we stumbled across an Asus convention, AT AN OPEN SOURCE CAFE!!! :eek:

IMG_2701.jpg

Of course they had the latest and greatest.

IMG_2694.jpg

Didn't take long for rdrash to find his new baby.

IMG_2693.jpg

The reps told us they had been shipped to the major stores the day prior...so off to Tsukumo. And, sure enough...they had one. :D

IMG_2696.jpg

And, back to the Asus convention to tell them how much we appriciated thier help & support!

IMG_2699.jpg

One last problem...rdrash was on a DDR2 platorm before, so now we needed some shiney new DDR3 :attn: Tsukumo wanted over $1K for their OCZ DDR3-1800, so I had to drag rdrash (and his credit card) out of there before he did something stupid. He thanked me after we got to one of our other favorit store "Ark" where we found some nice low latencey Corsair DDR3-1600 for about half the price.

IMG_2704.jpg

So after quite a few more Asahis and a long train ride home...we started the fun part. "Out with the old, and in with the new."

IMG_2707.jpg

Abit I38X QuadGT, QX6700 & Corsair PC2-8500

IMG_2713.jpg

Asus Maximus Extreme, QX9650 & Corsair DDR3-1600 7-7-7-20

IMG_2714.jpg

*WARNING* The mobo is huge, almost an inch longer than average :eek:

IMG_2726.jpg

This "TRUE" will be replaced within the next few weeks when rdrash goes extreme ;)

IMG_2749.jpg

Here's the happy man, almost ready to fire up the beast!:cool:

IMG_2751.jpg

You may have seen some of the initial benchies floating around already. rdrash has been very busy trying to adjust himself to the dark side, and this new Maximus Extreme will only lengthen that proccess. So far he's already hit 4.7GHz on air, and he's pretty stable around 4.4-4.5GHz. But there is much tweaking to be done. Stay tuned for more results in the near future. Thanks for reading our story, feel free to ask any questions you like. Cheers :beer:

4.5Ghz on air stable!? :drool:

What's the multi on the CPU? What case are you using? :beer:

Intel Extreme CPUs have unlocked multipliers, but x9 is the default. He's using a NZXT case (forget the model), but it may as well be a test bench setup since he never puts the side panels on anyway LOL

Intel Extreme CPUs have unlocked multipliers, but x9 is the default. He's using a NZXT case (forget the model), but it may as well be a test bench setup since he never puts the side panels on anyway LOL

Wow that's great, pity I won't be able to justify the cost of an Extreme any time soon, that unlocked multiplier must come in handy, my lowly e6300 is hindered due to its low multiplier. I don't put the side of my case on - CPU temps are far better without it! :D

Looking forward to some benchmarks, what graphics card are you using?

That's a great looking system. I'm sure he's quite grateful you saved his credit card from the DDR3-1800 for $1G!

Why did he ditch the "old' X38 QuadGT? It's definitely not old...heck, it just came out! Is he selling it? How much? (Not that I have the money, but if the price is right-enough, you never know. :) )

haahahahahahaha......what a fun thread, Thanks Miahallen!!! :beer:

For screenies/results of what I have done thus far just scroll through the system and 3dmark benchmark areas. I posted quite a few times yesterday as I was pushing the CPU and seeing what I could get out of her. Yes it did 4700MHz on air ...for a few minutes. I was able to run some nice 3Dmark benches at 4400MHz, did some wPrimes and superPis at 4600MHz. Just having fun at this point....:beer:

The part about the Abit IX38 QuadGT being old is a personal joke between Miahallen and myself, a few others will get it too...Basically I bought the Abit, tried it out...it didn't please me....I have given it, along with the ram, away for free to a friend who is building a new system with Miahallen's help. :beer:

What a great place to spend the day, looks like you guys had alot of fun :D

OH YEA!!!......beer + computer parts galore + interesting sights all around= very awesome day indeed.

Now the real fun is begining as I learn this MB and its BIOS (so many options...what to do, what to do).....It is a far cry better than the Abit board that is for sure. I didn't have any challenge or difficulty until I started getting past 4400MHz, then it just needed a few extra volts to the CPU. This Motherboard is a keeper for me!!!

Haha must've been really fun. Must be exciting getting all of that hardware.

..and the girl to your right is so much cuter than the one on your left (the pic with you holding the maximus board). :p

By popular demand:

Attachments

• 3dmark0177484.JPG
    3dmark0177484.JPG
    175.3 KB · Views: 702
  • 3dmark0348700.JPG
    3dmark0348700.JPG
    164.6 KB · Views: 707
  • 3dmark0615492.JPG
    3dmark0615492.JPG
    174.1 KB · Views: 702
  • AM3250939.JPG
    AM3250939.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 696
  • 4700MHz.JPG
    4700MHz.JPG
    143.9 KB · Views: 694
Nice set-up :D

I want to see some super pi 32mb and 1mb please.....

ok jonspd:

Attachments

• superpi1meg989.JPG
    superpi1meg989.JPG
    152.2 KB · Views: 690
  • superpi32meg1113734.JPG
    superpi32meg1113734.JPG
    165.7 KB · Views: 686
Wow. What an awesome chip you got there. 4.68 GHz @ 1.44 vcore. It took mine almost 1.60v to get 4.71 GHz out of her. Great thread guys! Keep em coming!

Back