• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Worth upping from Opty 185 to a Intel Quad?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

u1tra

Registered
I've been thinking for the past 2 days whether I should sell my old system:

CPU: Opty 185 2.6Ghz
RAM: 2Gb Patriot Low latency DDR400 kit (2-3-2-5)
MOBO: Abit AN8 32X

And get something like:

CPU: Core 2 Duo Q6600
RAM: 2Gb OCZ Platinum DDR2 800Mhz Kit (4-4-4-15)
MOBO: Asus COMMANDO P965

Will I really get much more perfomance? That's my real concern.
Swapping lower latency RAM for higher latency DDR2 ram.
And my beloved Opty 185 for a Q6600...
Will I see the difference rendering scenes in 3dsMax for example?

I've been thinking for the past 2 days whether I should sell my old system:

CPU: Opty 185 2.6Ghz
RAM: 2Gb Patriot Low latency DDR400 kit (2-3-2-5)
MOBO: Abit AN8 32X

And get something like:

CPU: Core 2 Duo Q6600
RAM: 2Gb OCZ Platinum DDR2 800Mhz Kit (4-4-4-15)
MOBO: Asus COMMANDO P965

Will I really get much more perfomance? That's my real concern.
Swapping lower latency RAM for higher latency DDR2 ram.
And my beloved Opty 185 for a Q6600...
Will I see the difference rendering scenes in 3dsMax for example?
u will see a nice improvement in 3dsmax for sure

your rendering times will more then likly be cut in half or more. if you wait for the new 45nm quads those at same clock speed they shave another 15mins off encoding times. im not sure how that would translate to 3dsmax though. the imporvement is not just the 45nm process but the included ssse4 instructions.

Q6600 is core 2 quad... but...

For general useage... I would stick with what you have... i jumped on the hype wagon and since 90% of my time is intertubing and stuff.. I just dont get the intel to stretch its legs... gaming improved.. .and switching to quad was nice... started doing thins like converting my DVDs while gaming.. :)

But.. .the system even overclocked just is not as snappy as an amd system

I really miss that 15 second boot time... and not having to wait for windows to pop up...

So for benches/gaming, I would upgrade... if doing much intertubing then stay with what you got.. .2 cas is sweet..

Just want to point out that mine is not a popular opinion I think because no one else seems to notice it...take with a grain

Just want to point out that mine is not a popular opinion I think because no one else seems to notice it...take with a grain

well i wouldnt say your wrong here. cause i noticed my c2d system booted faster on 680i then either p965 or p35 based boards. it was NICE that was for sure. really dont notice after a while though, if you saw the benches DOM did with those new SSD's. it wont matter anymore then! lol 20sec boot time and being able to start and shut windows down all under a minute!!
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=537182

Thanks guys.
At the moment I need a system for rendering stuff in 3dsMax. Game wise, I'm not that bothered right now. Although I do need a new video card. It's all about the rendering...

But... for example... lets say this system:

Q6600 + 2Gb RAM + 8800GTX

vs

Opt 185 + 2Gb RAM + 8800GTX

How much will the Q6600 system kick the 185's butt in gaming?

at stock they will be equal oced well thats another story, the q6600 will win.

Thanks guys.
At the moment I need a system for rendering stuff in 3dsMax. Game wise, I'm not that bothered right now. Although I do need a new video card. It's all about the rendering...

But... for example... lets say this system:

Q6600 + 2Gb RAM + 8800GTX

vs

Opt 185 + 2Gb RAM + 8800GTX

How much will the Q6600 system kick the 185's butt in gaming?

If you are doing a lot of rendering then you definitly want the quadcore.

For gaming as evil sizer said, not much of a differnce at stock, for games that are not CPU limited... (IE play at high resolution) there is not much of a bottleneck on the CPU

DOM did a great benchmark session on the 8800s and showed that the SM2 SM3 scores did not change TOO much based on CPU speed

I guess it's time to get a Quadcore :)
I'll be rendering hardcore this year... need to save that extra time... Hopefully it will save me a "few" hours :)

And then I'll just buy a good video card when I have time to play games again :)

I guess it's time to get a Quadcore :)
I'll be rendering hardcore this year... need to save that extra time... Hopefully it will save me a "few" hours :)

And then I'll just buy a good video card when I have time to play games again :)

then imo if you really want to shave time off wait for january 20th for the new 45nm quads. it will cut cpu power usage by 20% at equal clock and give you a boost with the new ssse4 instructions. its a win/win for you that way, even though you have a to wait a little while.

Q6600 is core 2 quad... but...

For general useage... I would stick with what you have... i jumped on the hype wagon and since 90% of my time is intertubing and stuff.. I just dont get the intel to stretch its legs... gaming improved.. .and switching to quad was nice... started doing thins like converting my DVDs while gaming.. :)

But.. .the system even overclocked just is not as snappy as an amd system

I really miss that 15 second boot time... and not having to wait for windows to pop up...

So for benches/gaming, I would upgrade... if doing much intertubing then stay with what you got.. .2 cas is sweet..

snappieness really has to do with the HD and the optimizations windows has done to itself, i can tell you right now my E6600 system in sig feels redicolously amounts faster than a friends X2 4400 w/ 2x320gb perps in raid 0.

Yes my Opty 185@3000X2 was a pig compared to my Older E6600. Not to mention my Q6600.

I think stock Core2Dou Vs overclocked Opty isnt that much of a difference though.

Ah, I only wish I had time to wait until the 20th of January, but I have to start work asap... so I think I'll be buying a Q6600 for now :(

I'll toss a vote in for not worth it. You are talking an entire platform change here. Not only that, but you are thinking about upgrading to something that will be replaced in about a month.

Wait for Penryn and/or stick with your 185. You will see a jump going to a Q6600 but it is going to be 2nd class in a matter of weeks. Wait for the 45nm or stick with the 185 IMO.

Yeh... but then when the 45nm comes out... the 185 will be even further behind :) I think when the 45nm comes out I'll just have to replace my Q6600 :) hehe... I'll have to sell it somehow :D

I'm in the same situation, u1tra. But I think I'll wait for Penryn. I hope it can really half my VRay rendering time.

HALF????? :eek:
Penryn will cost about the same price a Q6600 costs now right?

Back