• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Steam update issues - Advice needed...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EmbeddedBarcode

Registered
Hello Everyone,

I seem to be suffering from Steam problems, perhaps someone could help me out or point me in the right direction.

I finally bought The Orange Box last night, to play all the goodies it offered (EP1, 2, and Portal). Using the installation CD provided (1 of 2), it installed Steam first, and thats it. The Steam download window then popped up with the message "Updating Steam platform". Okay... all good so far.

The download percentage goes up to 40-48%, then restarts, goes up to 30-35%, restarts again back to 0%, and finally gives me the message "Steam is temporarily unavailable - please try again later".

It does this every single time. It did it last night, and now this morning too. I visited the official Steam website and had a look at their technical knowledge base, and tried to follow some of the suggestions it gave.

I used Spybot to clean out my drives, I went as far as disabling Norton's firewall and Internet Security too. While I do have broadband, it is a 64kbps connection (64/64 download/upload according to the provider). But, it is a DSL connection, so it should work, albeit very slowly.

Any suggestions on what I should do? Games are quite expensive here in Dubai, so I made a considerable purchase when buying this.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you in advance.

You try actually downloading Steam fro their website, then you can just download the content over their networks and enter in your CD key given on the box? That should probably work....

Yeah. Forget about installing steam from the CD. Just download from their website. Then click "add games" and enter your product key and you should be good to go.

steam released an update on nov29th that caused steam to crash alot of peoples modems/routers (uncluding mine) and a lot of people had symptoms like you describe. they released an update nov 30th which supposedly fixed the problem.
I had to actually grab my orange box to reinstall steam so it would be able to connect to the internet to grab the latest update. i did however notice 2 times yesterday when i loaded steam i got a message about the friends server being down at which time it crashed my internet connection like before. shortly after that it started working again.

I was reading on the steam forum they are aware of these issues and are working on updates...

you could head over there http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17 and see if any of the various suggestions in the numerous threads about the problem help

Alright, thanks for the quick reply guys. I'll try getting it through the website and see if there's any additional info on their own forums.

Thank you :)

Back