• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Envy [A new ATI/NV Driver Auto Install tool]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Envy is a nice tool, but it also can be responsible for some screw-ups. Make sure to look at the terminal output box while it's installing the driver. Be certain that it has correctly identified your card, and that your card is supported by the drivers it wants to install. If it detects the correct series i.e. 8600 and calls it a GS instead of a GT, that's nothing to worry about.

I also feel it's a good idea to learn how to install these drivers manually in the event of a problem. People can get very frustrated with Linux as a whole due to driver issues and Envy has made it much easier.

Great recommendation.

It can, if you let it. I was just pointing out that even though it's an auto installer, it's still prudent to pay attention to what it's doing.

I'm a regular at the Ubuntu forums (great linux community), and am very experienced with Linux, especially with compositing and desktop development, so naturally I pay attention to video drivers and devices.

I still recommend using envy to users, as long as they're always conscious of any program that runs with root privileges.

Back