• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

the more I look at linux smp, the more confused i get......

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

benscoobert

i installed ubuntu 64bit

folding smp gives me this now, where am i going wrong? its set to 2 cpu and they show up on system mon

Code:
ben@ben-linux:~/fah$ ./fah6 –smp -forceasm -verbosity 9 -config

Note: Please read the license agreement (fah6 -license). Further 
use of this software requires that you have read and accepted this agreement.

Bad argument: –smp
Bad Argument(s) received

Folding@Home Version 6.00beta1
Usage:   fah6 [-option1] [-option2] ...

Options:
  -config      Configure user information
  -configonly  Configure user information, then exit
  -help        Dispaly this usage screen
  -queueinfo   Get information on queued work units
  -delete x    Delete item #x from work queue
  -send x      Send result #x to server then exit. Use x=all to send all results
  -verbosity x Sets the output level, from 1 to 9 (max). The default is 3
  -pause       Pause after finishing & trying to send current unit
  -oneunit     Exit after completing one unit
  -forceasm    Force core assembly optimizations to be used if available
  -advmethods  Use new advanced scientific cores and/or work units if available
  -gpu x       Run GPU code on the specified display number
  -freeBSD     Make brandelf system call on downloaded cores.
  -openBSD     Make elf2olf system call on downloaded cores.

Please note the above recognized flags and try again.
Press any key to exit.

Bad argument: –smp

That is your problem, that isn't a flag.

Type:

./fah6 -verbosity 9 -config

That is all you need, the forceasm is not needed, it is implied.

This is my Ubuntu SMP initialization command line:
./fah6 -forceasm -smp -verbosity 9

Perhaps you capitalized the 'smp' letters? Linux won't like that. :(

Of course, " -smp" is a flag for the Linux version 6 FAH client. Check the FAQ at Stanford's download site. You won't get an SMP WU without that flag being set on this version of the client.

Of course, " -smp" is a flag for the Linux version 6 FAH client. Check the FAQ at Stanford's download site.
If you read the output it gave:

Code:
Options:
  -config      Configure user information
  -configonly  Configure user information, then exit
  -help        Dispaly this usage screen
  -queueinfo   Get information on queued work units
  -delete x    Delete item #x from work queue
  -send x      Send result #x to server then exit. Use x=all to send all results
  -verbosity x Sets the output level, from 1 to 9 (max). The default is 3
  -pause       Pause after finishing & trying to send current unit
  -oneunit     Exit after completing one unit
  -forceasm    Force core assembly optimizations to be used if available
  -advmethods  Use new advanced scientific cores and/or work units if available
  -gpu x       Run GPU code on the specified display number
  -freeBSD     Make brandelf system call on downloaded cores.
  -openBSD     Make elf2olf system call on downloaded cores.

There is no SMP flag listed...therefore it can't be used.

That's odd, the -smp switch should work. My friend has to do this on his e4300 running opensuse in order to get smp units, and I think he's using the v6 beta client too.

Also, you don't need the -config switch unless you plan on reconfiguring your settings. If FAH doesn't have the configuration file then it will ask you for that information on first startup.

Thideras, according to Stanford's own linux instructions for the v6.00beta1 client they show -smp as a required flag to retrieve SMP units. http://folding.stanford.edu/English/FAQ-SMP#ntoc29

Why Ben's client won't accept that flag doesn't make sense at the moment.

That's odd, the -smp switch should work. My friend has to do this on his e4300 running opensuse in order to get smp units, and I think he's using the v6 beta client too.

Also, you don't need the -config switch unless you plan on reconfiguring your settings. If FAH doesn't have the configuration file then it will ask you for that information on first startup.
They probably removed it, are you sure he is using the -smp flag or v6? :eh?:

They probably removed it, are you sure he is using the -smp flag or v6? :eh?:

I know my buddy is using the -smp flag on his linux system because otherwise it will download regular non-smp units. I'll have to ask him, but I'm pretty sure he's using v6.00beta1, he just reinstalled it like a week ago or so. I'll send him a PM, maybe he can respond to this thread.

The output he listed shows v6.00beta1, and on their instructions page it says to use the -smp flag for v6.00beta1. Also, that is the most recent download available on their website.

:shrug:
Huh....very strange. :shrug:

You MUST have the -smp flag on the Linux version 6 of the SMP client to receive SMP WUs. No -smp flag and you'll get a regular WU folding on one core of the cpu.

Did you install the 32-bit math library?

sudo apt-get install ia32-libs

I dont know what i typed wrong, but now its working, 2394 PPD on 2 cores, I make that about 4788 PPD on 4 cores when i clone it.
Not bad for 1 rig..........

i have windows xp32 host
vmware with ubuntu 64 with 2 cores
just cloning the ubuntu setup for another to use the other 2 cores

Be careful when you clone it. If you don't have a unique ID, you'll get duplicate WUs and only get credit for the first sent in.

If you read the output it gave:
There is no SMP flag listed...therefore it can't be used.

You can say that until the cows come home, but it's wrong. I don't care WHAT his "output" is - *it's wrong*.

Read up on it at the Stanford d/l page, or use it yourself, and you'll know the truth.

He has done something wrong, and received output that is incorrect for the v6 FAH client, in Linux.

And that's the truth - so there! :D :D :clap: :clap: :clap:

Be careful when you clone it. If you don't have a unique ID, you'll get duplicate WUs and only get credit for the first sent in.
I deleted all the files in the fah folder and it seemed to set itself up again with a new unit with a different number to the other, should this be ok?

how do you clone one vmware setup to another?? (I'm converting all my quad from native linux to win+2vmware/linux. this will save me lotta time!!)

I have VMware Workstation ACE Edition
on the vm you want to clone click view/currentview/summary
the option is there on the left, vm must not be running

I am using Folding@Home Client Version 6.00beta1 that I recently downloaded about a week ago for use on opensuse 10.3 x86-64. It seems so much nicer without all those old switches of -verbosity and so forth. The only switch I use is ./fah6 -smp. That's it. If I don't use the -smp switch then I get regular units using only one core. If I use -smp then I can see both cores in use and pegged under Gnome system monitor. This is a fact and known to work.

You still should use -verbosity 9 even with version 6 to have the client write the maximum amount of info to the log. Useful at times for diagnostics.

Ben,
Since you got a different WU, you're fine.

Well, if Ben can do it, ....

And, yes, I have to use the "-smp" flag on my linux clients or they will not receive smp work units.

Back