• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Resurrects K8 Architecture for 2008 Roadmap

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hardin, thanks for the link, it's actually good news with a new product line from one already in production. (No heat at you by the way, flames on DT).

It sounds like Daily tech has a case of Anand's disease. (I love Intel so I'll bash everything AMD does). With AMD having a false start early this year and then finding it's flagship has more than just a leak leaves it vulnerable. Like the vultures they are the media uses any chance it gets to turn any story cynical. I just RMAed a Phenom for replacement but I'm not going to go around throwing out bs just to sound good to the peeps. AMD is going to pull up soon, beat Intel is unlikely at this point. As Ryan said, it's a 45nm line.

So, because current sales of K10 aren't what they expected (wait, short supply, they are being bought, well that doesn't make sense), oh, ok, so since they need to work out a bug or tweak K10 a bit more, they will release cheaper more energy effecient K8, which means they must have been working on these K8 before all this, which means they really do seem to know what's going on, this is good news indeed

I know that Intel continued creating Pentium 3s after the Willamette was released, but I think the phenom can be in a position to be compete with intel. Instead of releasing even more low end cpus they should focus on the mainstream or higher end. AMD doesn't have the money to throw around like Intel does.

I think at this point AMD is focusing on production that is why they are releasing these. The engineers for K10 are focused on nothing but that core. It would be less productive if they were to push out the Kuma are other stars lines. These probably cost very little RnD to get on a line and will not interfere with Quad production.

You know I dunno what to believe anymore. First AMD brings hope to the enthusiasts, then gives up on them, now this :rolleyes:

I'll believe it when I see it.

It sounds like Daily tech has a case of Anand's disease. (I love Intel so I'll bash everything AMD does). With AMD having a false start early this year and then finding it's flagship has more than just a leak leaves it vulnerable. Like the vultures they are the media uses any chance it gets to turn any story cynical. I just RMAed a Phenom for replacement but I'm not going to go around throwing out bs just to sound good to the peeps. AMD is going to pull up soon, beat Intel is unlikely at this point. As Ryan said, it's a 45nm line.

I saw no "Bashing" in this article, but I do see a lot of strange reading between the lines at this point, seems all the media that are not ignoring what happened with AMD in the last week or so are "Vultures".

I understand the Bitterness, I never owned anything but AMD (And Motorola), but lets face it, sticking heads in the sand is not going to change a thing.

Right now AMD is in Dire Straits, and its going to take quite a bit of effort on their part to get out of it.

this kills. everyone knows whats best for the company. lol. i think AMD is fine and will pull out of this in the next 6 months. they gotta have something. u know dam well they do. really sit back and think. why are they improving on low end chips? theres gotta be a reason why.

really sit back and think. why are they improving on low end chips? theres gotta be a reason why.
It isn't hard to figure out, don't have to sit and think for very long. They are doing this because their high end chips are broken.

So let me get this straight. It says all these new CPU’s will fit in AM2+ boards (unlike the present chips). Am I right?
This means a better upgrade path for those who don’t want to rush to phenom just yet.
It means you can buy an AM2+ board w/ this new CPU’s and then just upgrade the CPU to phenom. Hope the independent power plane is also incorporated in these new K8 CPU’s. If so it is more attractive than present k8's. AMD may actually make some money for time being until all bugs ironed out in phenoms.

So let me get this straight. It says all these new CPU’s will fit in AM2+ boards (unlike the present chips). Am I right?
This means a better upgrade path for those who don’t want to rush to phenom just yet.
It means you can buy an AM2+ board w/ this new CPU’s and then just upgrade the CPU to phenom. Hope the independent power plane is also incorporated in these new K8 CPU’s. If so it is more attractive than present k8's. AMD may actually make some money for time being until all bugs ironed out in phenoms.

It has the potential to sell more chips and boards yes, but I doubt many will spend the processor money twice, and would just rather wait for the phenom to be ready and then upgrade their MoBo as well.

It still smells like a panic move to me.

All the present chips will fit in AM2+ boards as well.

You know I dunno what to believe anymore. First AMD brings hope to the enthusiasts, then gives up on them, now this :rolleyes:

I'll believe it when I see it.

Enthusiasts, - isnt where the money is at, they dont care about you and never have so dont be fooled, they care about mom and pop and OEM's seelling mid to low end systems.

I think the reason they are doing this is because they know dual core is dead eventually. Besides the fact that k10 is a horror to them and they need at least 6 more months to perfect it they will cut R&D in dual core. This way they can focus on yielding better chips and targeting businesses with cheap compact energy efficient computers. If it is a fact that their onboard video is great and energy efficient they might get spikes of income from large sales to over seas businesses. It can be good thing but it is also a desperate move and a fast attempt to recover some ground before intel is ready with its own low powered solution with 45nm penryn.

Back