• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

asus 8800gt 1gb.... me wants!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I think my 512 XFX performs quite well. I only wish I went with eVGA to step up to the newer 8800GTS Rev 2

Meh. There's really no need for 1GB of RAM on a GT, or even a GTX/Ultra to be honest. Unless you're gaming at insanely high resolutions the gains to be had are minimal at best. When GPU's are powerful enough to run Crysis at very high settings at 50+fps then it'll be worth it, but as of now I see no point in spending the extra money for it when you can have almost identical performance with the 512MB sister.

Meh. There's really no need for 1GB of RAM on a GT, or even a GTX/Ultra to be honest. Unless you're gaming at insanely high resolutions the gains to be had are minimal at best. When GPU's are powerful enough to run Crysis at very high settings at 50+fps then it'll be worth it, but as of now I see no point in spending the extra money for it when you can have almost identical performance with the 512MB sister.

Oblivion. 1920x1200. Qarl's Texture Pack III.

That having been said... "640KB should be more than enough for anyone." :beer:

Whats up with people on these forums? Doesn't anyone game @ 1920x1200 these days? Thats reason enough to get a 1GB card.

Does anyone know an app that'll record the amount of vRAM used? That would put this to rest.

I do think 1gb is useful for 1920rez, but as stated above the 256bit bus is going to choke it.

Can you tell me (us) how to see this?
http://www.google.com/search?q=rivatuner+video+ram+use
->
1st link
Originally Posted by atlr at LegitReviews
The Hardware Monitoring option in RivaTuner can show Video Memory usage. To configure RivaTuner, choose Hardware Monitoring from the Customize(little triangle) menu. Click on the Setup button. Click on the Plugins button in the lower left corner of Hardware monitoring setup. Scroll through the list and choose Vidmem.dll. I like to select CPU.dll too. Ok out of these dialog boxes.

Leave RivaTuner Hardware Monitoring running and play your game.

Nebulous,
How does amount of video memory relate to GPU heatsink requirements or even need of ram sinks?

Well 1gb of ram does generate heat. The clock speed of the gpu core will also generate heat. Unless that core and ram is soo underclocked it doesn't need good cooling.

Have you seen the temps and the type of cooling the 512mb GT's have? And this card has double the ram, not to mention a slightly higher core speed. To me that new card's cooler is just going to be the death of it. ( if it's a real card and not just hype)

Sorry it is so small, but this is the only image I can find of the Palit one. They have obviously changed the cooling on their 1GB model, and I would assume something similar from ASUS.

155_pic_8800GT-Sonic.jpg

Sorry it is so small, but this is the only image I can find of the Palit one. They have obviously changed the cooling on their 1GB model, and I would assume something similar from ASUS.

155_pic_8800GT-Sonic.jpg

Well at least this one has some sort of beef on the cooler. I see some ramsinks as well, sort of anyway. Alot better than the asus one.

Back