• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computers not working

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

yog

Ok. So here is my dilemma, I have had some computer issues the last couple of days. It all started on this last Sat. (I think) and my main computer just died. I restarted it and when it turned it on it didn't do anything and just gave me a never ending series of beeps. I tried looking up what that means and couldn't find anything on it. I assumed that my motherboard was dead. So I grabbed one of my folders and started using it. I grabbed my 805 rig and started using it and all was good. Then today I decided to see if it was truly the mobo that died. So I took the 945 out of my main rig and put it in my secondary rig and put the 805 out of my secondary rig and put it in my main rig. I did the 805 first and it did the same thing, just a never ending series of beeps. No biggie, motherboard is dead. I put the 945 in my secondary rig and turn it on, and nothing. No beeps (later discovered I didn't have the speaker hooked up) nothing on the monitor, fans start up but nothing does anything. That kind of worried me, cuz I wanted to use the 945 but not a biggie. Then I put the 805 back into my secondary rig, everything just as it was, and once again no beeps, nothing on the monitor, my num. lock and caps. lock and scroll lock lights light up but don't go out and it doesn't do anything.

Anybody have any ideas as to what happened and what all is wrong?
Thanks in advance.

That is really, strange, so the second machine stopped working after you tried your other processor in it?

I'm still sorting through all this as to exactyl what happened where, but one thing to comment on.

When troubleshooting pcs and parts, you run the risk of a bad part breaking good parts, by taking the mobo that you thought was bad and putting it in your good system, you run the risk of it messing something up there, also, by putting your good mobo in the bad system same risk.

As to your current situation, recheck everything in the system that you thinks "should" work. Reseat all cards, reconnect all cables, check for loose wires or any screws that may have rolled under something or onto something etc..

yea reset the bios, reseat the ram, take out all non essential cards, run with only 1 stick of ram if that doesnt work then start worrying

as above have said...just try to eliminate any cable problems and reset bios

OK, so I took everything else out of the computer. Took out the firewire card, video card, tried using the 24 pin power supply instead of 20, reset the cmos (repeatedly), I even got a new keyboard and am using that instead. Still no go. The caps/num/scroll lock lights flash when the computer is first turned on, but then go out and nothing comes on the screen. I can hear the hard drive spinning and everything looks good, just nothing comes on the screen. Is it possible that this one is dead too?

is it still not beeping?
is there any jumpers on the board u moved?
did you touch somthing earthed before you worked on your pc to discharge the static electricity before you touched anything?

is it still not beeping?
is there any jumpers on the board u moved?
did you touch somthing earthed before you worked on your pc to discharge the static electricity before you touched anything?

It still is not beeping (but it doesn't have a header for the speaker)
I didn't move any jumpers, other than to clear the CMOS
I touched the PS before working to discharge myself, but I'm thinking I didn't do it well enough, or something else. Any other ideas? Thanks

Nothing comes on the monitor. I'm sure it works. Is there any way I can test to see what part isn't working?

Nothing comes on the monitor. I'm sure it works. Is there any way I can test to see what part isn't working?

It might not seem helpful after a failed attempt at decoding the beep codes from the other board, but I'd suggest you plug in the speaker (EDIT: I've not ever seen a mobo without a speaker or speaker pinout, what motherboard brand and model# is this?) and try again to get the beep codes.

From the problem description you have given, your computer(s) is/are not passing the Power On Self Test (POST). Is these instances, all you have to go by are those beep codes (or randomly buying stuff to hopefully find the bad component).

Furthermore, if you still find no answers, I suggest you post the beep codes and exact system hardware lists (one list for each troubled component set) here, and let us scour the internet with you to hopefully come up with an agreement on what the problem could be, before you throw anymore money at the problem.

Last edited:
I went and bought one of the e43500 combos at Fry's the other night and have been using that since. I still would like to know what is wrong with my other combo's. The mobo with the 805 is an ECS P$M800Pro-M, decent mobo, but I can't find a speaker pin out on it. Anyway, when I was assembling my new combo I tried that one out to see if it would work. It powered on, and everything looked good (hard drives spun up) but just no video. I tried the on board video and a separate AGP card, no go on either. So I'm thinking that board might be shot. On my MSI 975X plat board it just gives me a series of beeping until I turn it off. Not sure what that means. Any ideas? Is anything here salvageable?

That ECS P4M800Pro-M board had its speaker built onto the board. just south of the CMOS/BIOS coin battery. Since you are getting no beep codes from that board, you can prolly call it dead at this point.

However, on the MSI board, see this page to help identify and translate the beep code pattern.

Hope this helps some.

OK, so I can just toss the ECS board. However on the MSI the page you gave me said that it is "No Power, Loose Card, or Short." I'll try it again with adjusting all that stuff.

8:53- URGH!!! I took the motherboard out of the case, still no workie. I played with my video card to make sure that it was seated properly, no workie. I took out a stick of RAM to see if that would help, it booted...but only to the CMOS. Then I reset it and it didn't do anything. I changed RAM, same thing, works to CMOS but that is it. Took out one stick of RAM and put in a different slot, booted all the way to windows. I just restarted so we'll see. I'm gonna throw some different RAM in it and see what happens there.

I can't believe it was the RAM! I just bought this Balistix thinking it was the really good. I guess back it goes.

Last edited:
The RAM is boxed up and ready to be sent back. I filled out all the RMA info last night and it goes back today, so maybe I'll have the replacements by christmas.

Thank for all of your help, I really appreciate it.

Merry Christmas OCForums!

yog

Back